What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Umidigi A5 pro? Something comparable or a better budget option?

Bond007

Trying to find a phone that I expect to go on sale for <$150 as a Christmas gift.

My father is currently on a moto G4 play with a cracked screen.

I would love to grab a G7, but I doubt it will be cheap enough.I could probably get a G6 in the price range, but the Umidigi seems hard to beat for the price. Anyone have experience with it? I wouldn’t want to get a phone that would cause him issues.

Thoughts? Other options to consider? Thanks in advance.

JD

Staff member
Nokia 2.2 is around $200 currently, may drop for Christmas but hard to say. Runs Android One so at least you'll know from a OS standpoint it'll be stable.

I'm not sure if I'd trust a Umidigi phone to be problem free. I'd be a bit more confident if it was running Android One.

You might be able to get a previous generation Xiaomi Mi A2/A2 Lite for around that price maybe? Those run Android One at least.

I got my dad a Mi A1 2 years ago and it's still running fine, plus he's a mechanic so it's on his workbench in the shop daily. He cracked the tempered glass screen protector once thus far, that's about it.

Bond007

i am a bit out of touch with Android to be honest. The a5 pro is said to come with stock android pie. Reviews say no bloatware etc. What is the difference between that and “one”?

JD

Staff member
i am a bit out of touch with Android to be honest. The a5 pro is said to come with stock android pie. Reviews say no bloatware etc. What is the difference between that and “one”?
Android One is managed by Google for the most part and means you get 3yr security updates and 2yr OS upgrades. It's a more Pixel-like experience.

From what I gather, Umidigi is likely using AOSP as-is, similar to what you'd find in the custom ROM community. You're relying on them to provide security updates and such.

Bond007

Android One is managed by Google for the most part and means you get 3yr security updates and 2yr OS upgrades. It's a more Pixel-like experience.

From what I gather, Umidigi is likely using AOSP as-is, similar to what you'd find in the custom ROM community. You're relying on them to provide security updates and such.
Thanks for the info. I can honestly say I would rather not go with a brand like Umidigi, but it's hard on a budget to compete with what they are offering hardware wise. The Nokia is worse for everything (on paper) and cost more. That being said, I understand your thought on buying it for a duration of time (with updates etc), vice update uncertainty.

So far my options to consider are (some would be basically hoping for a big Black Friday sale):

A5 Pro - great on paper and cheap. Uncertain software updates etc
Nokia 2.2
Moto G7 Play
Moto G6 (all variants considered)

Other thoughts on phones to add to the list?

JD

Staff member
what is that version of Android that's slimmed down so it runs well on lower end hardware?
Android Go, but those phones are really skimping on the specs. They're basically "burner phones". If you just want calls & text, then I suppose it's fine.

Do you mind if it's a used phone? You could probably get some of the Samsung A series phones for that price. Maybe even a Pixel 2.

Bond007

soooooo....I just pulled the trigger. I was browsing redflagdeals at saw they had the umidigi A5 pro on lightning deal. I kind of panicked as the percent sold climbed ridiculously fast. $130.45 all in. For that price I don't think I will find better, but I will play with it when it arrives to see if it gets kept or returned.

octacore, 4gb ram, 32gb storage, big battery, 6.3" screen...worth a shot for the price.

Latest posts

Twitter