What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Umidigi A5 pro? Something comparable or a better budget option?

Bond007

Damn....

Lightning deal that's already 75% sold out so be quick if you're interested.... :)

Haha. Thanks. I went on when it was 67%...twiddled my thumbs for <5 min and it was at 85%, walked to my computer @ 95% and added to my cart.

EDIT: the other colour is still at 80% if anyone wants to jump in. I managed to get the space grey.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh.... pretty hard to beat those specs @ $130. Let us know what you think of it when it comes in.

Mr. Friendly

what is the mod community like for support? is it running a true stock version of Android 9? what's is access for patches? future OS updates?

sswilson

Staff member
Any update on this phone yet? Did you get it in? If so... what do you think of it?

Bond007

Any update on this phone yet? Did you get it in? If so... what do you think of it?

The phone was received very quick. I haven’t had a chance to really test it out well but initial impression are great for the price.

Build quality compares with much more expensive phones. It comes with a screen protector, a “case” and charger. While a great included item, the case is too thin to be more than a scratch stopper. Screen looks very good and doesn’t seem to have any lag or colour issues. I never noticed any issues with response time opening the stock apps. Never tested for battery life yet, but with my time just playing with it seemed fine. Most people seem to complain about the camera, and I think I would agree. It works fine, but it is definitely a weaker point for it. I suspect it is more software driven for the camera though, so it may improve over time. The different cameras all work in their intended ways, but the issue is inconsistent focus (sometimes perfect, but sometimes not) and colours aren’t very vibrant. Didn’t game on it, but given the specs I would say it should be capable, but not a strong performer.

Summary so far. Perfect for the price and the fact it will be going to my father as a general use phone. If you would use it for a lot of important photos I would give it a pass until things possibly get sorted. Otherwise I don’t think I would have any problem recommending it for general use, a cheap kids phone, etc.

I will update after I test it a bit more, but it won’t be too intensive until after Christmas (it will be a gift).

sswilson

Staff member

Up for another lightning deal. (Spent some of my temp work mad money and grabbed one for myself this time around... :) ).

Bond007

Up for another lightning deal. (Spent some of my temp work mad money and grabbed one for myself this time around... :) ).

nice. Let me know your thoughts after you put it through it’s paces. I still haven’t done any more playing with the one I grabbed.

sswilson

Staff member
Posted this in the "hot deals" thread....

Well, it's early days (hours to be honest) but you can colour me very impressed for the price I paid. Build quality is decent (it doesn't feel like one of those $50 phones you get shrink wrapped with pre-paid packages from wallymart), it feels snappy enough swapping between active apps (as well as running in split screen), and the screen looks great considering it's a $130 phone. Both facial recognition and fingerprint access seem to be working fine (I'm not noticing any real lag).

The camera certainly won't be winning any awards, but unlike the early firmware version complaints they all seem to be working fine, and pictures taken with them don't appear to have been taken with a potato.... :)

My plan is to use this as a non-sim connected device so I'm not sure if I'm going to go to the trouble of throwing my sim into it (swapping sims around won't affect either phone or my sim will it? ) to see if I have the issue of low call volume everybody has been complaining about.

Seriously.... this brand might be a QC lottery, but the hardware I got feels and seems to work as well as the Zenfone 3 Zoom I had a while back.

I've only had it in hand for an afternoon, but hell yah I'm impressed. Screen looks great, and it doesn't appear to be having any issues multi-tasking under split screen (took me a while to figure out how split screen works on vanilla pie.... :) ). Didn't even need to change the developer option "animation scale" settings that are often suggested for improving the perception of performance.

Took my SD card fine, and no issues so far with the bluetooth.

I'd have absolutely zero hesitation to recommend this as a budget phone so long as it's ordered through amazon for easy return if a person gets a dud.

what is the mod community like for support? is it running a true stock version of Android 9? what's is access for patches? future OS updates?

It's a relatively new phone so I don't think there's much out there for it, there is at least a dedicated thread for it over on XDA....

Dwayne

I'll add my 2 cents (CDN). I received the phone on Friday. The phone had around 45% charge so I hooked it up and charged it a bit while I prepped to change over. I did a full backup on my old phone, to the Google Cloud, and then shut the old phone down. I removed my SIM card and realized that I have a microSIM and needed a nanoSIM. No problem, I found a site with a template and just cut it down myself. I thought the worst that would happen is that I would have to go in if I screwed it up, but no, it worked. After about an hour on a standard USB 3.0 port on the computer it had charged about 10%. I put in a fresh 64GB SD card and the SIM and flashed it up. The process to recover the backup was smooth, and it took a little while to install the apps but I was up and running. During setup it asked me what to do with the SD card, so I had it just add to the internal pool instead of use it as a separate "drive". I don't plan on moving it out so I thought that was a nice touch.

The phone sits comfortable in my hand. The display looks pretty darn good, to me. It seems responsive and runs pretty well. I was a little disappointed with the fact it only has 802.11n, not ac. The Speedtest was fine, for an n device though. The bluetooth had no trouble connecting to my Fitbit, about the only bluetooth device I use, so that was good. The fingerprint sensor is on the back and works great. Also, I didn't see any NFC, so if you want to use a digital wallet, don't get this phone. Not an issue for me though.

I am not a big picture taker with the phone, but the couple of test shots look fine to me. The wide angle is impressive, and the bokeh mode is nice, if you like that sort of thing. I have no idea how good the front facing camera is as I haven't used it yet, and might never since I don't do selfie stuff.

Overall impression, for $131 bucks, it is just fine. I'm not a game player with the phone, it is more of a text device and fall back emergency/travel thing, so I expect it will be fine for a few years.

Edit add: Forgot to add, I am on Fido, no problem recognizing the network. I should try voice sometime and will get back and edit again after I try a call or two.

Last edited: