What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Umidigi A5 pro? Something comparable or a better budget option?

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... the one that comes with it..... :)

I think there are a few others out there, but suspect they're probably only available through something like aliexpress.

Dwayne

Kind of an odd thing, but it seems my MMS messages don't like coming in when I am on LTE. I have to switch my APN to the 3G network, and then pictures sent via MMS are fine. Anyone else see this? Also, I cannot go into the APN settings and make any adjustments to the SMS setting, it is all greyed out. Other than that, I am pretty happy with the phone, the screen is nice, the battery seems okay. My typical use is checking email and sms text messages and responding, and at the end of the day I am around 70% left. I did find that the last few days after overnight charging the battery stalled around 94%. I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in for another 10 - 20 min and it finished up to 100%. I'll monitor that.

sswilson

Staff member
As has been mentioned in another thread, anybody that has one of these, could you please post your results with the incoming call volume, using the earpiece, rather than on speaker phone, since at least one other member has mentioned this is a problem.

And yeah, I too was curious about that same thing Friendly - stuck me as rather odd they're not on GSMArena..... :unsure:

Tried the phone, in the house, but the volume seemed okay. maybe in a loud environment it would have seemed quiet. the phone has the 1.5 October update.

Just a quick further note on this.....

That post lists a method to get into engineering mode on the phone and has some suggestions on changes to make in order to improve the incoming call volume.

I'm not using my A5 Pro as a phone so I can't comment on whether or not it's an improvement, but I can confirm that I was able to get into the engineering mode ( Dial *#*#3646633#*#* ) and from there was able to make the suggested changes. (I'd strongly suggest folks mark down the default numbers in case the new ones bugger something up).

sswilson

Staff member
So how are these phones holding up for folks who got them?

I ended up selling mine (at cost) to a family member who needed a cheap phone (they're more than happy with it so far) and managed to get in on the most recent lightning deal to re-order one for myself for use as a non-phone android device.

Cannon Fodder

So how are these phones holding up for folks who got them?

Well, while I don't have one, I also hang out on the Public Mobile forums, and there's a member there whose boyfriend has one, and not only does he really like his, but she likes it so much that she's probably getting one for herself too. She also recommended it to someone else, probably on the same lightning deal you got in on, and that person is quite happy with it too. I haven't seen any mention of the low volume issue over there.

Kind of an odd thing, but it seems my MMS messages don't like coming in when I am on LTE. I have to switch my APN to the 3G network, and then pictures sent via MMS are fine. Anyone else see this? Also, I cannot go into the APN settings and make any adjustments to the SMS setting, it is all greyed out.

This sort of issue has been mentioned several times, on the above mentioned Public Mobile forums, and IIRC, one fix, is to insert a Freedom Mobile SIM(activated, or not) into the phone, and apparently the APN settings become accessible. You can then edit those settings, and save them, and then put your current SIM back in the phone and carry on.

Bond007

Knock on wood, my father has been extremely happy with it. Camera is a known weakness, but battery life and general use is great.

Mr. Friendly

it's quite amazing what can be accomplished now. $100 6.7" mobile phone, the X95 from DOOGEE:

it's nothing extravagant, but the looks / styles they get into such an inexpensive device is quite astounding!