What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Unifi Dream Machine (UDM)

Prickly007

I set up my UDM tonight and thought it worth while to document the process, given the paucity of reviews to date. Initial set up was relatively straight forward save for two issues, first (after placing my Shaw modem in bridge mode) the UDM would not connect to the internet. Not sure what the issue was, a bad patch cable or the order I powered up the two devices. :confused:The second issue was far worse. Upon completing the set up, I was presented with:

Dream Machine.png

Excellent, right? No! None of the links worked, The unifi.home link pointed to https://unifi. It took me the better part of an hour to find the correct link (which I'll add tomorrow, when I am sober) via reddit/google.

Entz

Yes .home is not a valid TLD and only useful on local networks (similar to .local etc) . I am guessing it is using a zeroconfig type service (like bonjour) that isn't working properly or something is blocking it.

I prefer direct IPs for that reason lol

Sagath

Staff member
Possibly due to not having Internet access during the setup?

"unifi.home" I'd assume is making a DNS entry locally, but maybe that failed as well.
pi.hole is the same. This makes sense.

Prickly007

Forgot to add to the first post that the packaging is very Apple-ish, power cable has two built-in cable ties. No manual is included, just a QR code and web link.

Set up would not start until Internet access was detected, so that was not the issue.

The manual said to point Chrome to https://192.168.1.1, but I don't believe that worked either. After much googling, I was able to get access to the Dream Machine via the Cloud Access Portal at unifi.ubnt.com. Who knows what the issue is/was, perhaps some tweak I made in services.msc years ago. On the other hand, Bluetooth and the UniFi SDN app is the first option presented in the Quick Start guide... maybe that should have been a clue. :unsure:

UniFi Network & DM settings are now accessible at 192.168.1.1/home

With IPS turned on, DM performance stats:

CPU load: under ten percent,
Temp: 60 C
Memory: 881/1.83 GB
Storage 1 (eMMC): 1 / 12.2 GB
Storage 2 (backup): 10.5 / 120 MB

Average device experience score, more or less out of the box, is 98%. Network status is excellent. With the Shaw modem, the older tablet, which is upstairs, was largely unusable. It's been stable as a rock, running beermoney videos, all day despite the twenty four other 2Ghz networks in range. Dashboard shows ten neighbouring 5G networks, as well.

And I haven't had any complaints about the wifi today, so mission accomplished? :unsure: It's too soon to say for sure, but we might not need any additional APs.

Uploading a floor plan to see the wifi signal and how additional APs would effect coverage is pretty cool; however, explanations of the different options would help, i.e. one can use designer or legacy floor plans. I had to try almost every option to get it to work, key setting seems to have been switching to a legacy floor plan. No idea why.

Over the coming days, I'll be poking around the settings & doing a LOT of Googling.

Latest posts

Twitter