What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Unique itx requirements

Izerous

Folding Team
So this will be odd but I had questions from someone I know that is looking to get into liquid cooling a bit. But their goal is a bit different than usual and I don't follow itx designs very closely. I scanned over a few of the itx thread on here but his use case seems to be a bit unique and doesn't quite fit.

Anyways, they already have a eGPU from razer that they use on and off with their laptop and they picked up an itx+thunderbolt board that will post with the eGPU being the only video card. So the idea is to shove this board into the smallest case that would support a 240mm/280mm radiator, cpu waterblock, and pump (maybe a small res maybe t fitting not sure yet).

Since there will not be an internal GPU the space normally dedicated for the GPU could actually be where the radiator goes allowing for some flexibility in the case itself. The goal is allow for the larger radiator but still keeping it as small as possible.

Mr. Friendly

check out the sffpc section on reddit. there are so many options your mind will be blown.

the biggest issue is inventory...all the popular brands / models sell out almost immediately upon release of a new run. :p

Entz

That is essentially the equivalent of a APU build isn't it? No GPU?

How small you go is more a question of cost. From the cheaper side I would get on a waitlist for a NR200P. It will do everything they want and be reasonably compact. Smaller is usually boutique (NCASE M1, FormD T1, Ghost, Sliger etc).

Maybe one of the Xbox like cases from Fractal..

Izerous

Folding Team
NR200P is actually one of the ones i suggested to start with from my quick googleing but I feel like this could be made even smaller than that. Easy inventory would be nice as there will be delays from ordering water blocks and other things as it is.

And yes essentially watercooled APU kind of approach since GPU will be external. But it might be something like an overclocked 5950x shoved into this... so cooling will be interesting.

Bond007

This is a unique situation. I can't think of any cases off hand that are designed for a high-end water cooled CPU, but without a GPU. I suspect you will either need to modify a case (maybe use GPU space for a radiator), or a larger case that has GPU and rad space (GPU space may end up vacant).

Entz

Given the massive eGPU bottleneck , I would try and talk them out of it lol and just get a < 20L SFF PC with a full GPU. /gets off soapbox

You can put a 240 in a node 202 without the GPU. Would have to be a custom as you need 90s on the Rad. But that is tall

If it was me I would get on the notification list for the FormD T1. It is about the smallest with decent rad support (though requires low profile fans, very specific AIOs and possibly grub screws). Really amazing little chassis. That or the nCase M1 which is in stock. Sliger is supposed to be releasing their own version of the M1 this week as well (X400 and X410).

Edit: Looks like the T1 may be taking orders again in Nov. So you may need to wait a bit..
Their Reddit with updates

Last edited:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Odd request, but I like off things.
Side note: if this is going to be an AMD build there's only one case that had TB3 : the Asrock Phantom X570. I own it and it works well, but I did not buy it to use the TB3 for egpu and have not tested it for that purpose either.

As for the case... It will not be easy to find. Most ssf/itx cases for into two categories: itx gamer cases that are larger and always have space for an internal GPU, and the "thin client" -style boxes. The latter are indeed smaller, some have no expansion slots at all and/or use pico-PSUs. However, these cases also almost never have large cooling setups, some have as little as 1-2 40mm fans and the largest ones might have a single 92-120mm.

The ONLY cases I could recommend for this build would be the offer style itx cube cases. Ex: Silverstone SG13. These will still have that GPU space, but aren't really well suited for modern builds. The space where the GPU would go can be replaced with 120mm fans in some versions, and if you look around for a while you may find one that had enough space (between the side panel and the bottom/left edge of the motherboard) for fans And a radiator.

Good luck! Hope the i do helped.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Oh, one last idea, but first: note that I despise Intel for their proprietary attempted monopoly BS. However, a NUC -type pre-built might be your only route if you want something truly small with TB3. It won't be upgradeable though, so grain of salt.

Izerous

Folding Team
Talked with him more a little while ago he already has the MB with a 3100 mounted and validated the eGPU works with this board etc

He likes the N1 but he isn't finding a supplier under $400 (i haven't looked myself). I think i could actually rig up two 240mm rads in an N1witha use case like this pump/res would be the only challenge

Entz

You won't. That is the cost :( (~275 USD shipped) and why the NR200P is sold out everywhere :D

Super small SFF and cheap don't go together.