What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Unresponsive external HDD

Inik

Hey!

My GF external HDD is acting weird! I can't access it. It shows on My Computer but without the % of space used or anything else. It's all ok in Device Manager.

When I try to access it by double-clicking on it, the windows is not responsive and I have to disconnect it. When I try to look for it in Disk Management, it also becomes unresponsive and I have to disconnect it and reconnect it after to actually see it.

It seems we loss read access to it?

moocow

I think the last stab would be remove the drive from the casing and connect to the computer directly. At best it would be the control board in the case that's dead or at worst your drive is dying.

Inik

I ripped it out of the enclosure and well it's still the same :(

I was able to see it in Disk Management, but it's RAW. Is there a program I should use for data recovery ?

enaberif

I ripped it out of the enclosure and well it's still the same :(

I was able to see it in Disk Management, but it's RAW. Is there a program I should use for data recovery ?
What type of drive? WD Green?

RAW means the partition is corrupt.. Free? Try Recuva.

Inik

The problem is that firing the program if the drive is connected make it stall. I disconnect it, the program opens but stall when I connect the drive back

enaberif

The problem is that firing the program if the drive is connected make it stall. I disconnect it, the program opens but stall when I connect the drive back
If the drive stalls its done for. You could try sticking it in the freezer for awhile and then put it on a ice pack to keep it cold and it may work.

But generally when a drive stalls.. its hosed completely.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I use a BlacX external enclosure specifically for that purpose. Allows me to start the program first, then power up the drive. Usually works.

And I've saved data on numerous drives with the freezer method (in a sealed zip-loc bag, 24 hours). One to this day still does not want to initialize (tick o' death) on a WD Blue.

Latest posts

Twitter