What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

*Update June5th* i7-7700 - Hot Cores and the story of Dell Incompetence

CMetaphor

Quadfather
The 13 R3 was around $2200 new (or at least mine was with the same specs when I bought it). The laptop they're offering you seems to be $2900 (currently), so I think it's a fair deal. Though honestly, I would ask for the 1080p G-SYNC display instead, it's the same price as the 4K one and will definitely run better with the 1060. If the 2666MHz RAM is really a big deal, it's a $50 upgrade, I'm sure they could throw that in.

Power brick, I think, is the same as it's a 180W unit. Overall weight is higher though since it's larger, however if you use this on your lap, wider might give you more stable footing?

The R4 is a bit older than the m15, so they probably have stock that is starting to lose value, better to move it and make a happy customer than lose it entirely.

However, I'll also say "don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

All that aside, if you like the form factor/performance of the 13 R3, I'd say it's fixable with some thermal paste and pads, a pair of pliers and some force when screwing it back together.

My 13 was over 2500 *after* boxing day deals, partially thanks to the OLED display, which was a $500 upgrade. I really, really dont want to lose the OLED screen... I still think it's unacceptable to offer a laptop that's worse for gaming than the one it replaces. Gift horse be damned, Dell has screwed with me for months and months, endless stress. They'll make an exception or i'll take them to small claims, win easily, get my money back AND keep the 13 laptop. But I can't mod it or do anything to it if I send it back once replaced, obviously. I don't really want to have to play the medical card, but it's very much pertinent. For the heavy laptops 6-7lbs+ I cannot trust myself to carry under an arm, sometimes not even with both hands. Can't put any laptop on my actual lap for long durations either, as it can actually cause pain there :sad:. In short, I really don't want to give up the 13 unless it's replaced by something Much better and/or an actual direct replacement (OLED for OLED, lightweight for lightweight, etc).

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Ha. I also forgot: My beautiful OLED display has touchscreen as well. Which is surprisingly useful and amazing... Don't want to give that up either :(

CMetaphor

Quadfather
So the best thing to do is fix (or get fixed) the thermals and enjoy. If you like the display panel you have why gamble on another?
Because as summer approaches and it gets hotter, the two "bad" cores will flip over 95-96-97c and they'll both flicker their thermal throttling, which causes crashes it seems. I'm not sure I'm willing to do the heatsink bending mod JD did, especially out of warranty. :(

Last edited:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I've spoken to dell about m15 with OLED option, we'll see what they say.

In the meantime, I'm looking at m15 reviews as well as other reviews for similar laptops... and I'm not that impressed?

The Razer blade 15 advanced can be spec'd with an OLED display, but its over $4000 which is way way too damn much, and of course lower spec versions aren't allowed the nice screen. Assmongers.
I've seen some mention of the MSI Stealth Thin and the Gigabyte Aero 15, so I'll be looking into those more as well.

What would you guys buy that would be a light replacement for the 13 R3 with a *very* nice or OLED display?

JD

Staff member
What would you guys buy that would be a light replacement for the 13 R3 with a *very* nice or OLED display?
If you can forgo gaming on it, then I think the Dell XPS 13 would be your best option. Generally highly regarded and perhaps you could even snag that for "free".

If temperatures the main concern, then I think the Lenovo Legion Y740 might be the better pick, but it comes at the cost of thickness/weight.

I'd probably go with Razer though if/when I decide to upgrade. Seems like the best package overall and doesn't look "gamerish" which I hate. The stock screen seems to have enough "pop" that the OLED might not really be needed.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Dell has indeed offered an M15 as a replacement for my 13 R3.
*BUT* they're saying theyre transferring the existing warranty (an OnSite warranty which has expired thanks to how long they took to fix my laptop) to this replacement. Aka, they're giving me NO warranty at all except maybe a "check" on the day I receive it.

Need experts in Quebec law here: Is that even legal? Can they offer me a New product (even if it is a replacement for something defective) despite Quebec's law stating that electronics MUST have a minimum expected service life that all vendors in Quebec must offer...

Bond007

Dell has indeed offered an M15 as a replacement for my 13 R3.
*BUT* they're saying theyre transferring the existing warranty (an OnSite warranty which has expired thanks to how long they took to fix my laptop) to this replacement. Aka, they're giving me NO warranty at all except maybe a "check" on the day I receive it.

Need experts in Quebec law here: Is that even legal? Can they offer me a New product (even if it is a replacement for something defective) despite Quebec's law stating that electronics MUST have a minimum expected service life that all vendors in Quebec must offer...
Not really sure, but I would say it’s legal, since it is based on your original purchase...you aren’t buying this one.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Not really sure, but I would say it’s legal, since it is based on your original purchase...you aren’t buying this one.
Can anyone else confirm or deny this? Seems super grey area to me. It's still a new item, newly released, newly manufactured. Why wouldn't it come with a minimum warranty to guarantee it's not a lemon?

Sagath

Staff member
http://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/home/

I would suggest you contact them and ask for an official answer. And given the problems you've had all along, you should file an official complaint with them too. There is a form on the site somewhere for that.

It seems totally within their right though, but IANAL. Your warranty applies to your original purchase, and it would apply from date of purchase. It really has nothing to do with the product you purchased, only the length of time that they will warranty the item. If they gave you a new warranty, and the item broke 1 week from the end of that warranty, are you entitled to another new laptop with another X year warranty? So now you've had a warranty on a purchase from 6 years ago, thats still going? That seems a little unreasonable.

Alternatively, if you really feel that strongly about it you could look in to Small Claims court.

Latest posts

Twitter