What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

*Update June5th* i7-7700 - Hot Cores and the story of Dell Incompetence

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Unfortunately I've been through that site several times but it doesn't mention what warranty a replacement item should have. It's all about the initial item and it's warranty. Bleh.

I'm just gonna roll the dice and buy an extended warranty (maybe, or definitely if something goes wrong). Dell has often told me an additional warranty can be purchased at any time. So I guess that's my final solution...

Long, long story short: Don't buy a Dell. Like, ever. Ugh.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
The M15 hit 99c on three cores on the basic blend Prime95 test. I'm utterly appalled. Thermal throttling on cores and full package throttling as well, WITH the laptop cooler.

I've told Dell to take that crap back. I'm so sick of dealing with them that I don't even care about trying to get money back or a replacement. I wanted my "dream" laptop, and Dell made it into a nightmare. There is *literally* no other laptop equivalent like it in the world, even to this day. 13inch, touchscreen OLED, and 5lbs. Even the "brand new" (read: crap) M15 doesn't have a touchscreen option for its OLED panel.

@JD I'm going to attempt your mod in a couple weeks, once I receive the a spare heatsink assembly from ebay. Do you have any extra details/info/pictures for me?

I'm also going to make some extra mods:
1- Assuming everything goes well and I can safely mod both the original and spare heatsink assembly: I'm going to try "opening" the folded fins along the top edge on the back of the laptop's cooling section. The plastic is already opened along those channels and I honestly think allowing the hot air to escape more quickly will outweigh the loss of air passing over the last inch or so of the fins.
2- assuming the above works and is successful (confirm the theory), I'll do the same to the second heatsink, but I'll also open up the Bottom fins, technically meaning air can go out in any direction when the fans are running fast, and possibly (although I'm not sure how realistic it is) allow for some convection cooling at low fans speeds or when they're off.
3- I'm also going to buy a spare underside panel for the laptop, because I noticed the brilliant Dell engineers used multiple small curved grills over the fans. But to me, this design is just plain silly. The curved grills mean air has to enter at multiple angles through tiny holes, both slowing the air down and increasing the noise. I'll try removing these curved grills or making a simpler mesh grill that's flat with larger holes which should (I hope) mean less air disturbance (less noise) and a better intake.

I'll think of more another time. Should I put those modding ideas into a new thread? Probably.

Bond007

That’s the nature of laptops now. Intel rates the tdp on base clock, and boost is only if the oem allows a higher tdp/temp/power consumption to have the boost algorithm get it higher. Bigger/heavier/noisier laptops can handle it pretty well, but otherwise they are all a compromise of some sort.

Undervolting is pretty much a must do for any new laptop...it’s the first thing I did on mine, and the results made it impressive.

JD

Staff member
Not sure what materials you've ordered but I used:

Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 (Thermal Pad) 120x20x1.0mm - 2-pack
Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 (Thermal Pad) 120x20x0.5mm - 2-pack
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste - 1.0 Gram

I think it was over on Notebook Review forums in the owners thread that had pictures of the heatsink and which thickness thermal pads to use. That was a couple years back now though...

All I did 2nd time around was bend the brackets on the heatsink where the screws go through ever so slightly to increase pressure, so bent up from when its sitting flat. That meant having to put a lot more pressure when screwing it back down though, so obviously be cautious. I also was a bit more liberal with the thermal paste on the dies as well.

Didn't change any of the vents, but I can see your logic. I think you may end up with more noise though. My fans barely ever come on now, or at least not audibly, during normal usage. Before they used to randomly spin up when opening apps even. Granted I also undervolted too now.

Latest posts

Twitter