What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Update:My stolen computer and other items recovered

AkG

Glad it worked out for the OP last year. BUT I'm still not a fond lover of software based solutions. It will catch the stoooopid criminals. BUT the first thing a pro will do is wipe the HDD (or most likely just swap it out for another one) before powering it up for the first time. Thus rendering this type of protection moot.
Better than nothing, but can give a false sense of security.

stoanee

Folding Team
It will catch the stoooopid criminals. BUT the first thing a pro will do is wipe the HDD (or most likely just swap it out for another one)

Here is a news flash for you, many criminals are stupid, that's why they are criminals. They work harder at their criminal job for less pay than a real job. Pro and criminal together in the same sentence is quite rare.

ibyte_dk

Glad it worked out for the OP last year. BUT I'm still not a fond lover of software based solutions. It will catch the stoooopid criminals. BUT the first thing a pro will do is wipe the HDD (or most likely just swap it out for another one) before powering it up for the first time. Thus rendering this type of protection moot.
Better than nothing, but can give a false sense of security.

Here is a news flash for you, many criminals are stupid, that's why they are criminals. They work harder at their criminal job for less pay than a real job. Pro and criminal together in the same sentence is quite rare.

It's been an ongoing debate, both here and everywhere else. But Stoanee is right, criminal and smart rarely mix. Most criminals don't even know how to format a computer.

False sense of security might be right, but why should you start to leave you house unlocked and through you laptop around, just because you installed a piece of software?
If you suggest you would worry less, then why not install it? Theifes break in no matter how you fell og worry about it, so if a piece of software can give you less to worry about.

Well. I know I made the software to worry a little less my self. This whole Christmas I've been able to see my home server log it's IP every 10 minutes and by that I knew I did not have any unwanted visitors. It makes me sleep much better :thumb:

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
I agree, smart criminals make up 0.001% of the criminal population. And amdIntel is proof that this solution works.

odis172

Great to see you on the forum ibyte_dk!
Ive been using the software for over a year now and love it. I dont know why this software really hasnt taken off. For the average user it may be a little complicated, but for the thousands of tek savvy people out there, they should all have it installed.

I currently have it set to email me with the ip everytime my computers starts up, so that its easy to get the ip if my rig gets stolen, also handy to be alerted when restarts for some reason.
Thanks, and I will be donating soon :thumb:

ibyte_dk

Lots of trouble and a Windows version later

I'm happy to report to you guys, that IPsneak now fully supports Win7 64bit.

Webcam thingie works. I updated the alerts controls and a lot of other neat features. It adds the proper exceptions to the Wndows firewall.

Regarding why this never really took of? Well, it doesn't get any press coverage. It's not like some new high tech solution or a ground breaking new piece of hardware. So by experience, it's really hard to get mentions on any kind of tech news sites.

It doesn't help spamming forums, so the only thing I have left is to keep writing tech sites with my newsletters and searching for forum mentions and joining the debate.

PS: I'm a really huge fan of the HC's Youtube channel. Good stuff! :clap:

Latest posts