What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Update- Results below - Tweaking my Y530 - i7 8750H and 1050 Ti 4gb

JD

Staff member
Does this OC Scanner automatically reduce the voltages too, or your just using it to find the highest achievable clocks and then adjust your voltages down after?

I've used ThrottleStop to undervolt a bit, enable SpeedStep and disable Turbo while on battery, seems to keep the fan silent/off for general usage now at least. Haven't done anything with the GTX 1060 though.

(AW 13 R3, i7-7700HQ, GTX1060)

Bond007

Finally got it running, and let it do it's thing for 45 minutes, but I think I was supposed to hit the checkmark in afterburner because none of the OC settings seem to have stuck? (I'm really going to have to take the time to read the instructions.... :) ).

Running it again......
Yup. Have to hit check mark and then save as a profile. Curious to see your results.

Does this OC Scanner automatically reduce the voltages too, or your just using it to find the highest achievable clocks and then adjust your voltages down after?

I've used ThrottleStop to undervolt a bit, enable SpeedStep and disable Turbo while on battery, seems to keep the fan silent/off for general usage now at least. Haven't done anything with the GTX 1060 though.

(AW 13 R3, i7-7700HQ, GTX1060)
It finds a higher stable freq at a given voltage.from that you can either let it run faster at stock voltage limits, or do what I did and limit freq to a certain level, and have it run at those freq at a lower voltage than stockS

sswilson

Staff member
msi curve.jpg

That's what the OC Scanner spits out. So... by your understanding of what you've read through... if I pick a specific freq/voltage point and adjust that curve straight across from that point I'll limit the max GPU core voltage to that point?

(And again... my curve is much flatter than yours is).

sswilson

Staff member
MSI Curve.jpg

Not quite apples to apples but this profile w/ +190 on memory tops out @ 1784 vice the default (w/o + to memory) which tops out @ somewhere around 1724. VDDC maxes out @ .925 under this profile.

Slightly better Firestrike scores for this profile over default, but the benefit is 61c on this profile vice 68c on the default card settings.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/18144879/fs/18154008#

I'm not a big fan of having OC software permanently running on my PCs, but that's a pretty impressive result (and I'm by no means done playing yet) so I'll be leaving it running.

If I'm understanding this correctly.... I might be able to bump the max freq of that straight line up a bit to improve performance while still keeping the low max voltage?

Last edited:

Bond007

View attachment 26514

Not quite apples to apples but this profile w/ +190 on memory tops out @ 1784 vice the default (w/o + to memory) which tops out @ somewhere around 1724. VDDC maxes out @ .925 under this profile.

Slightly better Firestrike scores for this profile over default, but the benefit is 61c on this profile vice 68c on the default card settings.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/18144879/fs/18154008#

I'm not a big fan of having OC software permanently running on my PCs, but that's a pretty impressive result (and I'm by no means done playing yet) so I'll be leaving it running.

If I'm understanding this correctly.... I might be able to bump the max freq of that straight line up a bit to improve performance while still keeping the low max voltage?
Nice improvements as well. Given both you and I have had very good luck with this, I will be recommending it to others for sure.

It is quite interesting how different manufacturers can have such different clock profiles for the same GPU. That said the difference isn't as much as it first appears, due to my picture having about double the vertical height as yours.

There are some frustrations at times, when you hit apply and the curve moves (seems to be that it doesn't like certain specific frequencies). The main body of the change remains constant though.

The temp drops/power consumption drops are well worth the time invested IMO.

EDIT: and yes you may be able to go a bit higher on the freq at each point. That is just what the OC scanner gave as a safe OC from its test algorithms. Your .925v freq is pretty much the same as mine (mine would be about 50 mhz higher...no guarantees you can get the same though). I then have the curve continuing up for the next 2 points after .925, then a flat line. You should be using a bit less power.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
One of the things that's going to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer is the fan profile which doesn't look like it can be easily modified. That's going to have a large effect on what kind of temps this will produce.

I had noticed that a long(er) gaming session seemed to be using some battery resources (not a lot, but enough that it would report as charging even though it was never unplugged). It'll be interesting to see if the slightly lower max voltage changes that behaviour.

And yeah.... the sliders are a bit finicky and seem to have a mind of their own some times. If I could suggest anything it'd be that they map the left/right keys to allow easy navigation to the next plotted point.

sswilson

Staff member
I don't suppose anybody out there who's using MSI's Beta Afterburner for this functionality has bitten when prompted to install a new version?

I'm running the beta because the stock version's OC scanner wasn't working with my 1050ti so I'm a bit hesitant to try the latest version unless I can find some kind of confirmation that it includes the functionality I need. I've tried doing a quick google search but haven't come up with anything yet. (will keep trying).

edit: While I'm at it... is there an active forum/thread for afterburner? Maybe I missed it, I didn't see an obvious one over on the MSI forums, and the Guru 3D one looks like it's inactive.

Last edited:

Roasiac

I saw the two of you discuss the Y530 - 1050TI 4GB model and all though this might be a late response am I having this same model to with an 8th gen i7 with 12 cores.

If it comes down to undervolting, building desktops or anything in this I am a total noob while I know a lot of software and program this too.

I currently use my laptop successfully for streaming on a small streaming platform and mainly stream Fortnite.

I would love to know of the things you guys do here could help me get away from playing Fortnite at low settings in 1280 x 720 on Fullscreen and instead can go to the 1920 x 1080 low settings resolution in full screen if I do what you guys have done.

I currently can hit a solid 60 FPS with V-Sync on and that goes up to around 80 without V-Sync with the charger plugged.

If I can see an increase by doing this(I don't give to much about noise since I have a headset which entirely shuts off noises) how would I have to do that without accidentally killing my laptop?

Bond007

ding desktops or anything in this I am a total noob while I know a lot of software and program this too.

I currently use my laptop successfully for streaming on a small streaming platform and mainly stream Fortnite.

I would love to know of the things you guys do here could help me get away from playing Fortnite at low settings in 1280 x 720 on Fullscreen and instead can go to the 1920 x 1080 low settings resolution in full screen if I do what you guys have done.

I currently can hit a solid 60 FPS with V-Sync on and that goes up to around 80 without V-Sy
The 2 programs I run to get these results are msi afterburner and throttlestop. Google should get you them.

For the graphics card use afterburner. Once installed press ctrl+f. That should bring up a screen like in post #14 of this thread. In the top right you should see "OC Scanner". Click that start it up (it takes a while to run and figure out an overclock for your graphics card. It will basically look like a new curve above the original one. In order to then achieve lower temps and avoid throttling/power limits start from the right of the graph and drag them down one at a time until you have a straight line from somewhere around 925mv-975mv range. The result is you will have the graphics card running at stock or faster than stock, but at lower voltage (which means less heat and less power consumption). When you game heat and power consumption can both cause everything to slow down (this should assist in avoiding that issue). In the end you should have a line somewhat similar to mine in post #1. Just apply and save (so that it can be applied again in the future).

Throttlestop is to do something similar with the CPU. It has been a while since I played with it, since my settings are working well. I am not using it right now, but if you google the program you should find a few guides. From what I recall the big changes I made for use when gaming is limiting to 3.2ghz and undervolting by -0.137v. This dropped CPU power consumption from 60-80watts down to a peak of 37 watts. This in turn drops temps and stops throttling of the CPU and GPU. If you don't feel like pushing things or really playing with the program I think -0.12volts should be pretty much a guarantee. If I get the laptop going later I can try to screenshot.

hope that helps a little. It is a bit of work, but the rewards were well worth it.

Latest posts

Twitter