What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Updates or something is breaking Windows

Talnoy

Hello all,

Here with another interesting tech support issue I can't seem to nail down.

Yesterday my rig was running ABSOLUTELY fine - purring like a kitten even. Specs are here:

MOBO: Asus Sabertooth x79
CPU: i7-4930k clocked @ 4.2 (Since reverted to stock 3.2)
RAM: 16 gigs of Kingston Hyperx blu 1600mhz
VID: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC
SSD: Kingston Hyper X 240gig
SSD2: OCZ Agility 3 (Used for HDD1's cache via the SSD Caching feature of MOBO)
HDD1: WD Black 1tb
HDD2: WD Green 2tb (storage drive)
Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 pro
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo

Now that specs are out of the way, I turned my rig on this morning and it went to boot, then turned off. Weird I thought, so turned it on again, and it hung at the loading screen (the screen where the dots go around in a circle). Getting antsy, I hit the BIOS and loaded optimized defaults, and upon rebooting still nothing, not an error message, no beep codes, nothing.

Getting a little annoyed at this point, I unplugged from power, waited ~40 seconds, plugged back in then booted up and the famous Windows 8 "Preparing Automatic Repair" words came up, which then said I needed to Restore Point my PC. 'Ok, sure' I thought, as it did its thing.

The system restore worked! My PC booted and all was fine - nothing wrong. 'Okay...' I thought, guess I'll use it as normal for now, see if everything's okay and check if there are any updates available. So, windows update then installs 2 important updates, goes to reboot the PC, and the issue comes back, except Automatic Repair won't load up anymore, it just boot loops.

Thankfully I had a 8.1 Pro dvd around, booting from that let me manually restore my computer AGAIN, which works fine.

Now here's the kicker: I looked in Event Viewer and there aren't any logs of read/write errors to ANY of my drives, and everything is fine for now. :censored:

Going to run Eurosoft PC check on it overnight, but I'm at a loss. I have no idea what's going on to cause my machine to behave like this; I've used premium parts all less than a year old and there are no errors to speak of.

Does anyone have ANYTHING that could point me in the direction of solving this mess without having to reinstall windows again? :dots:

Entilza

Sounds like everything went wrong the moment the initial power failure happened.

This could have brought up a chain of events that make you think it's updates or what not but really could just be due to the corruption of some key windows files when the power failed.

In all your specs you didn't mention your power supply. That or the overclock could have caused this whole mess to begin with.

You won't get much logs with a power failure that's for sure... You can check the smart status of the drives with crystal disk info, but I am sure they are fine.

Talnoy

Hmmmmm, you could be right! Sorry about lack of PSU specs -it's a corsair TX 950w. Plenty of juice in there. Looks like every piece of hardware in there has passed eurosoft diagnostic too. It JUST got to the linear read test on my SSDs for now. Have to work today but I'll update this thread with the results.

TY for the info!

Shadowmeph

I think it is a boot loader problem .
on one of my systems I have problems booting windows 8.1 from a a back up sometimes it would catch others it would not catch but get caught at the dam boot screen ( windows 8.1 boot screen) .
first thing I did was used a boot editor (BootIce) to see if that would fix it and it did for about a week then it all happened again .
This pissed me off so I ended up backing up everything my settings for windows and all of my programs and did a fresh install now everything seems to be working corectly.

Latest posts

Twitter