What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Updgrade or start from scratch ??

northernmutt

Hey all - I am trying to decide whether to upgrade or start from scratch with a new build. I know the new video cards from Nvidia are right around the corner and feel that waiting for that new architecture may be worth the wait instead of investing in "older tech". I am in no hurry for a build/upgrade.

I was wondering if you all see any hope for an upgrade to my old build (from about 2016) - see signature.

I play on a 1080P Dell monitor.
usually play Borderlands 3 and the Call of Duty Series (actually the build presently works good for now for COD, but I am having issues with BL3 stutter and lock ups).

I keep thinking about replacing the GTX 1060 3GB with, at least, a GTX 2070, but am concerned there is no value in upgrading due to the older hardware bottlenecking any new parts.

Any thoughts/information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

moocow

Have you cleaned your PC and reapply thermal paste? How much RAM are you actually running? I would also upgrade to SSD first and see things would improve. i5-6600K isn't that bad of a CPU but if you feel the itch, upgrade to i5-10600K or wait a bit and get R3-3300X with B550 board. You can probably salvage the RAM. Ideally, you want to run at least 3200Mhz RAM with AMD 2xxx and 3xxx CPU. But if you don't mind a bit of reduced performance, stick with whatever RAM you have already.

draemn

I'm very confused... where is your SSD? Also, as above, how much ram are you running? 8GB, 16GB?

Chances are the BL3 issues are something not behaving the way it should vs not having a strong enough computer.

northernmutt

MOOCOW / clshades / draemn - cleaning PC and re-applying thermal paste are good ideas as It has not been done....for a while Sometimes the most obvious solutions get overlooked.😳 I do have SSD (Sandisk 120GB - Boot ) as well as M.2 Samsung SSD 970 EVO - used exclusively for Games) that was not is signature as I overlooked that until you mentioned it (It's been a while since I loggedd into my account and I will have to update my signature again - thanks for the reminder). Running 16GB DRR3 G.Skill Ripjaws RAM (2X8) 2133.

Maybe I am just getting the itch, as you say MOOCOW - reading about all the new processors from AMD and intel as well as the graphics processors from AMD and Nvidia. It's tough not getting sucked in. I know I don't really "need" new hardware, more than I "want" it :)

Thanks for the help/perspective all!

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Your system isnt that bad for a 1080p build, assuming you're running a 60hz monitor. The GPU may be limiting you slightly in some games.

I'm not sure I'd dump the cash in to upgrading the rest of the hardware *today*, given that. If you really had the itch you could look at upgrading from the 6600k to a new AMD setup (3300x, or higher depending on your needs), but its probably not going to benefit you much for the use case you have listed.

If you move to a monitor >60hz, all of that goes out the window.

northernmutt

Thanks Sagath - my monitor is indeed 60hz (Dell UltraSharp U2312HM ) - also, my RAM is actually DDR4, not 3 as I stated in my reply to previous suggestions.

It seems to me the logical thing right now is to clean that sucker out, re-apply thermal paste and see what happens.

Honestly, the system runs very stable with little to no issues other than the ones stated in my query.

Thanks again all for any direction - greatly appreciated!

moocow

I would also do a memtest follow up by a data backup before running a drive test. While i5-6600K with 1060 3GB is not the fastest, it doesn't sound to me that this should cause game to lock up. Unless you are running high graphics setting and 1440p.

Entz

The stuttering in BL3 a well known issue, so it likely isn't you. They just did a crappy job with it. Its also insanely CPU bound, try 1080p medium at a maximum and remove things.

A good cleaning never hurts for sure.

northernmutt

I would also do a memtest follow up by a data backup before running a drive test. While i5-6600K with 1060 3GB is not the fastest, it doesn't sound to me that this should cause game to lock up. Unless you are running high graphics setting and 1440p.

The stuttering in BL3 a well known issue, so it likely isn't you. They just did a crappy job with it. Its also insanely CPU bound, try 1080p medium at a maximum and remove things.

A good cleaning never hurts for sure.

I know that BL3 is a bit of a CPU hog - when monitoring CPU usage, all cores go to 100%.

Graphics settings are at low (not much eye candy) :( and I'm running at 1080P - So, I'm pretty sure that is not the issue.

I am hoping to try the maintenance recommendations (Thanks MOOCOW) in the next week or so.

Thanks again everyone

Latest posts