What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Upgrade my System

moocow

He got an Acer from the system spec screenshot he took. 1 hour away from Microcenter isn't that bad IMO. If you can upgrade RAM and GPU, your skills aren't that far off. I would only look out for video on how to install CPU and cooler correctly. I have seen pictures on r/techsupportgore where the socket is completely messed up because people can't tell the CPU direction.

ModernRevolutions

He got an Acer from the system spec screenshot he took. 1 hour away from Microcenter isn't that bad IMO. If you can upgrade RAM and GPU, your skills aren't that far off. I would only look out for video on how to install CPU and cooler correctly. I have seen pictures on r/techsupportgore where the socket is completely messed up because people can't tell the CPU direction.
How would the Microcenter work? I order the parts there and they build it? Or I buy through them?

moocow

Wow they charge $150 US for basic assembly. I really should start charging my friends fees or cookies for my assembly service.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
i should charge a build fee up here staples (only Computer Store) charges $130 hr for basic tech i cant imagine they charge any less if they build.

JD

Staff member
Wow they charge $150 US for basic assembly. I really should start charging my friends fees or cookies for my assembly service.

$800USD for a hard tube build, Canada Computers is only $400CAD. Man, we really do get paid poorly in Canada eh?

ModernRevolutions

I'm overly cautious and would love it if someone can confirm that these parts are all compatiable. Also would love a link to a few cases that might work and anything I'm missing? i'm about ready to pull the trigger and buy it all.

Thanks again, you guys rock!

moocow

Yes they should be compatible but 3 things.
  • Do you have to order from Newegg, seem to be having issues as of late
  • That Neo Forza RAM scares me, I would stick to something like Corsair
  • You may risk buying old stock for the motherboard and end up not booting since the BIOS doesn't support 5K series CPU

ModernRevolutions

Yes they should be compatible but 3 things.
  • Do you have to order from Newegg, seem to be having issues as of late
  • That Neo Forza RAM scares me, I would stick to something like Corsair
  • You may risk buying old stock for the motherboard and end up not booting since the BIOS doesn't support 5K series CPU
Don't have to buy from Newegg, just the only site that I know really. Any suggestions on a different motherboard? Also another website to buy from?

JD

Staff member
That motherboard does have QFlash so you can flash the BIOS with a USB drive beforehand in case it doesn't support Ryzen 5000 out of box. I'd imagine most of the inventory has been updated by now though.

Perhaps something like this: PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($239.00 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 210 Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($239.99 @ B&H)
Case: Antec NX410 ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Asus ROG Strix 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1133.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-30 00:36 EST-0500

Latest posts