What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Upgrade or All New?

Phobia

You should probably toss an AMD RX 5700 XT into the mix when considering your video card. I have to hand it to AMD for their pricing. The 5700 XT will outperform a 2060 Super in most cases, and perform near the 2070 Super in many cases. Game to game performance varies, but overall the 2070 Super is faster over a broad range of games, but at about $100 increase in price.

The RTX stuff might be a consideration for you too, I mean, Minecraft with RTX on! (lol, really) but if you don't care about that then look into the reviews on the after market AMD cards, they might fit your bill and give you near 2070 S performance at 2060 S prices.
I'll look into it. I've never had AMD before, always Nvidia so it would be weird :p FreeSync monitors are cheaper than G-sync though.. so that is another thing to take into consideration

Phobia

I haven't bought anything yet.. I'm probably going to just get the gpu and wait on the rest, but I was having fun building a new pc. I would just use my old case (Mountain Mods u2-ufo). I don't know about the motherboard, and what it's like compared to others.

Lysrin

I haven't had a Gigabyte motherboard but I have had two Gigabyte GPUs in the past and they were excellent. Still running in other family member PCs. Small sample, but Gigabyte GPU quality from my experience has been good. I would suspect their motherboards are good as well, and there are several HWC members that run them. Not sure how full featured or easy to use the Gigabyte BIOS is these days, but I would guess any gaps there compared to other brands are narrowing due to the stiff competition in the motherboard market. What you've spec'd would certainly be a nice PC ;)

And I looked up your case. I can see why you might want to hold on to that! That is quite a case!

Phobia

That's great to know. Thanks! I've been debating re-using my corsair hx750. I got it in 2014. Is it worth it, or should I play it safe and get a new one? I'm not concerned about the wattage, as 750W will be way more than I need..

JD

Staff member
My general rule of thumb would be to replace it when the warranty runs out. I think the HX series comes with 10yr warranty, so you should be okay for another 5yr.

PSUs do degrade overtime like any other electronic device though so when you're buying $1000+ worth of things that get plugged into it, sometimes it's best to spend a little more for peace of mind :)

Latest posts

Twitter