What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Upgrade or All New?

Bapadaboopy

Hello all,
I am looking at upgrading my main PC. I currently only use it for light gaming (CS:GO and similar). I run 2 1080p 60hz monitors on it for work and every day tasks.
I've been looking at getting into some car sim games and have been looking at monitors which are 1440p and 144hz.
My current set up is:
i7 - 4770k
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
GTX 770
8 gb DDR3 (Don't remember the clock speeds)
250gb Samsung 840 Evo SSD
Corsair 750W PSU

Should I just buy a new GPU, or whole new setup? Also, any recommendations on monitors would be great as well!

JD

Staff member
Adding another 8GB of RAM and getting a new GPU, probably at least the RTX 2070 or RX 5700XT if your aiming for 1440p now, will likely hold you over for a while longer.

However, your CPU is getting a bit old, so if you can afford to do so, it might be a good time to just replace everything.

Monitor wise, really love my AW3418DW, or any ultrawide 34"+ 100Hz+ monitor. It would work nicely for car sim games too ;)

Last edited:

MARSTG

Are you playing on both screens ? if yes, a single modern gpu should do it. Like a 2070.

Lysrin

The 4770 still has legs for most games these days. Sure an upgrade is always going to be faster, but comes down to how much money you want to spend. If you are looking for bang for the buck then I agree with JD and MARSTG; GPU and more RAM would be a nice bump. Your SSD is also going to get pretty cramped if you get into newer larger games.

One thing about the RAM, suggest you check the used market for DDR3. When you do decide on a full new setup at some point in the future the RAM won't be transferable as the new system will require DDR4 or whatever is the flavour of the day. Getting DDR3 used would be a preferred option I think if the price is right.

Bond007

Concur as well. Grab another 8gb ram, and a gpu. Depending on pricing either a rtx 2060 super, rtx 2070, or RX 5700XT. Alternatively you could roll the dice on a used 1080Ti if you find a good price.

If funds are tight you could go with a slightly slower GPU and it will still be a massive upgrade for you.

Lysrin

Good point about the 1080Ti. I am still running mine, was purchased used, and I game at 3440x1440. Granted I'm not a competitive gamer or anything but it handles that res with lots of eye-candy and decent FPS for all the games I play.

Bapadaboopy

Thank you all for your responses! I like the sound of upgrading my gpu and ram. Right now, and in the future I believe, I game on 1 of the 2 monitors. I use both monitors for work though.

Bapadaboopy

I looked on the buy and sell on here but didn't see any DDR3. Where is another place to buy it used? I have 2 x 4gb 1866mhz.

I think I'm going to wait to get my primary monitor until the LG 27GL850 is in stock.

For my secondary monitor I think I'm going to get:

Graphics card wise, I'm thinking RTX 2060 Super or 2070 Super. Is it worth the extra to get the 2070 Super? There are so many slight variants of each version, I'm not sure what one to go for.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I have 2x4gb sticks of mushkin 1600 9-9-9-24 kicking around if it interests you.

Dwayne

I looked on the buy and sell on here but didn't see any DDR3. Where is another place to buy it used? I have 2 x 4gb 1866mhz.

I think I'm going to wait to get my primary monitor until the LG 27GL850 is in stock.

For my secondary monitor I think I'm going to get:

Graphics card wise, I'm thinking RTX 2060 Super or 2070 Super. Is it worth the extra to get the 2070 Super? There are so many slight variants of each version, I'm not sure what one to go for.

Thoughts?

You should probably toss an AMD RX 5700 XT into the mix when considering your video card. I have to hand it to AMD for their pricing. The 5700 XT will outperform a 2060 Super in most cases, and perform near the 2070 Super in many cases. Game to game performance varies, but overall the 2070 Super is faster over a broad range of games, but at about $100 increase in price.

The RTX stuff might be a consideration for you too, I mean, Minecraft with RTX on! (lol, really) but if you don't care about that then look into the reviews on the after market AMD cards, they might fit your bill and give you near 2070 S performance at 2060 S prices.