What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Upgrade System Time... Again

misterlarry

Hi all. Haven't been on the board much in the last couple of years but I wanted to reach out to the community again for your wide ranging expertise. My current rig is listed in my signature and essentially I would like to know if my plan to upgrade the CPU, GPU, & MB makes sense and whether or not my current PSU will adequately power it all. List of upgrade components as follows:

EVGA 02G-P4-2966-KR GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card - Newegg.com

ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Intel Core i5-4690K Haswell Refresh Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I54690K - Newegg.com - Newegg.com

I'm also adding the following non-core components:

Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

I might drop power consumption a bit by consolidating 1 or 2 of my current 500GB HDs to the new 2TB.

LG 24M45VQ Black 23.6" 2ms HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 1,000:1 - Newegg.com

I do have to check the dimensions in my P182 case because the GTX960 is 1.1" longer than the GTX560Ti. As an alternative, I could get the new 4GB version of this card (much smaller) for around $30 more but it does not have the advanced cooling features. Please see below:

EVGA 04G-P4-3962-KR GeForce GTX 960 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

As I mentioned, I've been out of the loop for quite a while and I do apologize for my lack of participation. That being said, I would really appreciate any insights that the HWC community might have for me.

Thanks for your help in advance everyone!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Cptn Vortex

PSU should be sufficient. The CPU and board upgrades will not be a huge noticeable difference, however I can vouch for the 4690K as being a very capable CPU for all the gaming needs I've thrown at mine. You will get a huge upgrade going to the GTX960 though over that 560ti. If you're on a budget, I'd say just get the GPU right now and maybe a larger SSD if you think your 120 is running low on space. That alone would probably keep you happy for another few years!

MARSTG

New games are larger and larger, for example GTA V installed is 60 GBs and Titanfall is 50GBs. If you have 2 500GB HDD I suggest you put them in RAID 0, and add the 2 TB for storage. I would opt for the new shorter card but with 4 GB of RAM.

misterlarry

Last edited:

dARqSyDE

I'd skip the 240GB SSD and go straight for a 480-512GB. It'll serve you better in the long run.

Dzzope

+1 for gpu bump and if needed storage too.

If your going to get a new screen and you play fast paced games, I'd suggest going for 144hz with ULMB.. Will make a significant difference in game..
Or if you play RPG's or RTS etc and watch allot of movies / do any content creation, you may be better served by an IPS / PLS panel.
If you want to still spend the budget, you could bump up to a 970.

MARSTG

I don't think the transition from 2550k to 4690k will help you much, however, I heard that the transition from Haswell to Skylake will be comparable with the transition from Prescott to Conroe. Clock for clock, Sandy Bridge to Haswell refresh will gain you 20% performance, not worth the money. I would make a partial upgrade where it will count, more likely the GPU and the SSD, but I would go towards a 480-512GB SSD.

Bond007

I agree with just a GPU/ ssd upgrade. Wait atleast one more gen for a platform upgrade. Maybe make it a gtx 970 to really improve fps.

misterlarry

Just made a big noob mistake. Bought a 480GB M2 SATA 3 SSD and found out it is not compatible with the Asus Z97-A MB. Apparently the Z97-A supports PCI-E M2 only. That will be an expensive little brick. Any work-arounds?

Latest posts

Twitter