What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Upgrading my first pc

Give

I need help finding the right parts for my pc. Im upgrading my first pc so i want to make sure the parts i want are actually good and so my pc can actually work.

My current parts:
MSI Z370 A-Pro
Intel i3 8100k
RAM(i lost the case and idk the brand but its 8 or 16 gb)
Rosewill 350w
Nvidia gtx 1050 ti
Case- Rosewill stryker m

Parts i wanted
Gigabyte gtx 1660 ti
Intel i5 8600k

Budget- $500

Questions:

1). Would my new cpu and gpu work in my current motherboard?
2). Would i need to get a new cpu fan or could i keep the same one that came with my i3?
3). Do i need to get a new power supply with more watts?
4). Would my case fit my new gpu? (My friend said i need to make sure it fits but idk where to find measurements)
5). Is this the best/cost efficient option with my budget?

I really need help im newer to pc parts. I built the one i have but i want to make sure i can upgrade it right because i dont know all the terms im trying to learn though.

JD

Staff member
1. Yes, they'll work fine.
2. You should get a better heatsink, the one that came with the i3 won't be able to deal with the additional heat output from the 8600k. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 is an affordable option, though feel free to shop around.
3. Yes, you'll need to upgrade your PSU too. I'd suggest at least 500W. With your budget constraints it might be a little tricky to get a high quality one though.
4. It looks like your case should fit it fine as it seems to be wide open around where the video card would be. The 1660 Ti isn't that big of a card either.
5. If you only have 8GB of RAM (just open task manager, it'll tell you), then I'd suggest putting some money there to get another 8GB. Otherwise, the 1660 Ti and 8600k are good choices as upgrades.

What are you trying to accomplish though? Better gaming performance?

And where are you located? Is that $500 USD? CAD?

Give

1. Yes, they'll work fine.
2. You should get a better heatsink, the one that came with the i3 won't be able to deal with the additional heat output from the 8600k. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 is an affordable option, though feel free to shop around.
3. Yes, you'll need to upgrade your PSU too. I'd suggest at least 500W. With your budget constraints it might be a little tricky to get a high quality one though.
4. It looks like your case should fit it fine as it seems to be wide open around where the video card would be. The 1660 Ti isn't that big of a card either.
5. If you only have 8GB of RAM (just open task manager, it'll tell you), then I'd suggest putting some money there to get another 8GB. Otherwise, the 1660 Ti and 8600k are good choices as upgrades.

What are you trying to accomplish though? Better gaming performance?

And where are you located? Is that $500 USD? CAD?
I built my first pc last year so im trying to get better parts now and its $500 isd

JD

Staff member
If it's just gaming focused, might be better to put the money into the GPU and PSU for now and upgrade your CPU later.

You could just squeeze in a RX5700 and Seasonic 750W PSU:

Biff73

I agree,but it will make better sense to go for an RTX 2060 since RX 5700 is erratic & performs poorly on some games

Give

If it's just gaming focused, might be better to put the money into the GPU and PSU for now and upgrade your CPU later.

You could just squeeze in a RX5700 and Seasonic 750W PSU:
Wouldnt i need to get a better cpu first? Thats why i thought i needed a an i5.

Bond007

I agree that the graphics card and power supply should be the first thing you upgrade with your budget.

Confirm you are in Canada?

Latest posts