What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Upgrading Older System vs New Build

Brubaker

I would like to get some opinions on upgrading current hardware or putting the money toward a new motherboard and CPU.

I am currently using : Asrock Z77 Extreme3|i5 3470|4x4 16GB RAM|1060 6GB GPU|EVGA 650P Platinum PSU|Crucial 240GB SSD

I also have a Gigabyte Z170-HD3P and 2x4 2400 DDR4 RAM that I purchased years ago, but didn't get around to buying a CPU for it.

I've been playing games more often lately and was thinking about buying an i7-7700 (at a reasonable price) for the Z170 board and upgrading the video card sometime in the future. However, an i7-7700 would cost about the same as something like an AMD 3600, so I'm a bit conflicted.

I'm basically playing older games, since I had stopped playing for a while and now have a library I want to go through, probably will be a while before I get into games that take full advantage of the newer CPUs. I don't really do anything else too demanding anymore. Maybe occasionally do some video editing or run a VM.

I don't have plans to upgrade to anything that is out now and would wait for the release of newer hardware, unless some great deal comes along that I can't refuse. So, based on my usage and the cost difference, would the i7-7700 be a logical way to go or a waste of money?

Cptn Vortex

I would sell what you have and just go the 3600 route, or even 3300x, it's very good value. Grab a nice priced B450 or B550 and some 3200mhz RAM. Selling your current hardware might just pay off that whole upgrade.

Entz

Used 7700's (even non-Ks) are ridiculously over priced imo*. There are better choices unless you get a steal of a deal.

Good video IMO. For non-K ignore the overclocked numbers.

* To the point where a 7700 even non-K is worth almost as much as a 3300X AND a B550 combined!

Brubaker

I know someone that has a new one for about $220, but yes, overpriced compared to the 3600, which is roughly the same price right now.

moocow

To quote Tech Jesus at GN, the 6700 and 7700 are worth $50 USD. As others has pointed out before, if the used Intel cost as much as a new R5-3600 + board combo, then go with AMD. It's utterly stupid how expensive the used market is right now. While I too would recommend a R3-3300X, there's no stock anywhere. Some guy is trying to see it for $200 CAD on FB market which is stupid since the R5-3600 is $30 more pre-tax.

PS: I looked at PC Parts Picker and R3-3300X got pushed up to $420 CAD on Vuugo. You got to be mental to even consider it.

Bond007

7700 will not be worth the price they are going for. You could upgrade the cpu on the current motherboard or the z170, but I wouldn't bother given the progress in cpus in the last year and expected in the next year.

I would use what you have until it won't do what you want, and then sell it. If you do that now, I would go for a 3600. Either way I would sell the z170 board now, since it is still a board limited to 4 cores.