What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Upgrading to Ryzen 3 on release day... Which motherboard though???

loafer987

I think Im down to The crosshair VIII formula and the X570 aorus Extreme. I will be full custom loop water cooling. I was hoping one of the boards would offer chipset cooling with a waterblock, but it appears that may have just been hopes and dreams. I am not happy about the fans on the chipsets this generation. I wanted something like the waterforce z390 board but it appears they had enough issues with that it may never exist either.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145131&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-_-DSA-_-CategoryPages-_-NA&gclid=Cj0KCQjwla7nBRDxARIsADll0kCUvZVoVSD8YNLugktwAcK4u1TYnbLKcOivHzxRQJbU0iZIHKkKS5kaAmMTEALw_wcB

At this point I am leaning toward the ASUS, but the asus only has 5G ethernet not 10G like the gigabyte and the gigabyte appears to have a better VRM setup at first glance and dual 8 pin cpu power inputs vs the 8+4 setup on the ASUS.

I noticed a leak for the X499 AORUS XTREME WATER FORCE.... which gets me super excited too... maybe I should wait for Threadripper 3??? Oh man... tough decisions.

Whats everyones thoughts on the X570s dilemma?

Izerous

Folding Team
I can't find the exact clip that I heard them talk about it but with the chipset TDP took a small jump to handle the higher bandwidth and other things thus the active cooling, it does kinda suck though.

If you wait a week or two instead of release day sometimes you can get a lead on potential full coverage water blocks. I knew about the CH4-EX full coverage block which is the primary reason I went with that board. With the active cooling having come back I think full coverage water blocks will make a bit of a come back. It was kinda pointless when everything was passively cooled anyways.

JD

Staff member
I would suspect ASUS will have an "Extreme" version of the Crosshair as well, I guess it's just not quite ready yet to launch now. Maybe we'll see more at E3. During the conference, ASUS was on stage and said they'd have 30 models... unless that was referring to something else.

MSI's Prestige X570 Creation seems to be the most feature rich currently since it comes with the M.2 expansion card as well. The Gigabyte Aorus Extreme would be a close 2nd but you lose all the x1 slots too.

I'm curious to see if we get some monoblock designs that cover the CPU/VRM/Chipset.

loafer987

Its one of those future proofing things. The main reason I want to upgrade from my 5960x rig is lack of USBC and rgb lighting control as well as extremely poor software for monitoring and fan control etc. Asus seems to have the best software management of the bunch. Gigabyte is one of the worst and MSI motherboards I have steered clear of for years now. I had a ton of bad luck with 3 or 4 MSI AMD boards back in the Phenom II days and I still have a fear of that brand completely... The prestiege does look very full featured but that chipset fan and heatsink is the cheapest looking of them all. This whole southbridge fan thing has me kinda worried.

Coach

I tend to lean toward ASUS boards as well. I have had MSI and Gigabyte boards too. I prefer ASUS aside from their prices ;)

Izerous

Folding Team
My last MSI board was more useful as a frisbee than a motherboard, I have kept away from them since and kept to ROG boards in my personal machines.

FreeKnight

I'm with coach on the preference for ASUS, but honestly, each brand has had their duds and issues over the years. MSI would be my 2nd choice over GB from experience, but they've all done the job.

I'd wait and see on some reviews first, so you don't find out a MB has a notable flaw until after youve been using it for a month.

Lysrin

I know it's hard to hear when you are itching to upgrade but I'd agree with FreeKnight and at least hold off until you can read through some good reviews and compare.

ASUS has been my goto brand for years for my personal PCs. Only had one bad board out of 6 or so PCs and the RMA process wasn't too painful.

Latest posts