What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

UPS + auto shutdown

stoanee

Folding Team
I am building a folding rig that will be stationed at my wellsite trailer/office. There may be the occasional unplanned power outages so what I am looking for is recommendations for an auto shutdown routine and a UPS. Naturally, the UPS must have the capacity to accomplish the auto shutdown routine. Easy and economical replacement of batteries would be a huge plus also. The rig will consist of I7 oc'd, 2 x 470, 1x 460, hdd, yada, yada, and would need to shutdown from 3 x gpu folding clients and a cpu folding client. I have no experience with UPS or auto shutdown programs for that matter, not sure if it is even possible, and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

grinder

windows can handle the auto shut-down natively. You are looking at a big APC unit to satisfy that kind of thirst. Normally i would recommend the BR1500 but it has recently been discontinued and replaced by this model.

Power Saving Back-UPS RS 1500

Further to this, all battery backup units you purchase come with their own management software.

LarkStarr

I think most of the APC high end UPS boxes have programs that accomplish auto shutdown via a USB connection. you're going to need a REALLY powerful UPS in order to hold the system over with all that stuff in it though.

EDIT: after reading above post, I didn't know windows could do that natively XD - also that unit probably doesn't have enough power. 3 gpu's + an i7? hoollyyy...

grinder

yeah, it won't be running for long! Probably issue a shut-down command after 5 minutes on battery.

Stoanee: any way you can measure the load of that rig so you don't buy anything that's UNDER spec?

the APC BR1500G will do 865 watts. Once you break that barrier you are looking at doubling your battery backup cost.
i.e. the APC SMT1500 (next level up) can handle 980 watts at double the cost.

JD

Staff member
yeah, it won't be running for long! Probably issue a shut-down command after 5 minutes on battery.
Maybe not even that long :haha:

I have a BE550G-CN on my server/folding rig but it's only folding on a GT240. PC pulls around 150W from the wall, and that UPS is rated for 330W (we'll say double). With that, I only get about 5 minutes runtime on battery and then it shuts down. Since I have it set to shutdown when there's 5 minutes battery left, I guess that gives me 10 minutes total. Seems to shutdown everything fine though it may corrupt F@H, not sure if it was from that or from my unstable OC.

stoanee

Folding Team

Stoanee: any way you can measure the load of that rig so you don't buy anything that's UNDER spec?

the APC BR1500G will do 865 watts. Once you break that barrier you are looking at doubling your battery backup cost.

Thanks for the replies! I will do some more research and see what I can come up with. Looks like a UPS of that capacity is about $250.:shok:

The parts for the new box are at home sitting in boxes but my 920 rig watercooled, overclocked with 1 x GTX470 & 1 x GTX275 is running on a 750 watt psu. I had it folding 2 gpu & 1 smp with no issues.I guess I better put my Kill-a-Watt meter on it and see whats what.

My intention with the new "field" rig is that as soon as the UPS goes to battery power I can initiate an auto shutdown of the folding programs,then the rig.

BrainEater

Actually stoanee , I'm looking into a new UPS for my main folding rig too , so I thought I'd revive this thread.....You find a solution ?

-----

...The APC BR1500G will do 865 watts. Once you break that barrier you are looking at doubling your battery backup cost.

I run a br1200 (backUPS1200rs) which is rated for 780 watts.....

Grinder and I have talked about this , and while we think the electronics in my 1200rs might be shakey , it will not do the 550 watts (measured) my main folder draws.....

The cost certainly does double tho...At least double.

------

I'm specing out 1750 -2000 VA UPS' right now ( future proofing for new rig) , and I'm also after a true sinewave model....from what I see it's in the 800-1000$ range for something like this.

:blarg:

Soultribunal

Staff member
Actually stoanee , I'm looking into a new UPS for my main folding rig too , so I thought I'd revive this thread.....You find a solution ?

-----

I run a br1200 (backUPS1200rs) which is rated for 780 watts.....

Grinder and I have talked about this , and while we think the electronics in my 1200rs might be shakey , it will not do the 550 watts (measured) my main folder draws.....

The cost certainly does double tho...At least double.

------

I'm specing out 1750 -2000 VA UPS' right now ( future proofing for new rig) , and I'm also after a true sinewave model....from what I see it's in the 800-1000$ range for something like this.

:blarg:

If you don't mind a bit of lead time I can get you an Eaton one for a lot cheaper than that range... Drop me a PM Sometime, and take a look on the Eaton site.

Evolution 1550 VA Tower Specifications

Something like that might work?

Since I Started working in my new found field I've been blooded in UPS's rather fast.

ST

Xeven

I've always liked the APC brand myself. I've used them in a multitude of conditions, including serving as backups for some scientific equipment running experiments at relatively high altitude (~14000 feet). They were derated because of altitude but they were still as reliable as sea level. The only downside to them (or I'm guessing any reliable UPS brand) is the cost beyond 1000W is just mind boggling.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I've always liked the APC brand myself. I've used them in a multitude of conditions, including serving as backups for some scientific equipment running experiments at relatively high altitude (~14000 feet). They were derated because of altitude but they were still as reliable as sea level. The only downside to them (or I'm guessing any reliable UPS brand) is the cost beyond 1000W is just mind boggling.

APC will always hold a place in my heart.
That being said I've learned long ago not to have too much 'tunnel vision' on good products, as there may be better ones out there for less $$$.

My thoughts,

ST

Latest posts