What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

UPS question?

Ernimus Prime

I bought a Cyberpower LX1325GU-FC for my gaming PC yesterday. My PSU is the EVGA 750 G2. Now my concern is that the UPS uses a simulated sin wave. Should I have bought a UPS with true sin wave. Hope someone can help me.

Ernimus Prime

that's not quite true.

if possible, you want true sine wave as with the new 80+ power rating, if your power goes out at the step stage of a simulated, it can cause a failure.

that's direct from our Tripp Lite and Cyberpower rep's.

I am getting the Cyberpower GX1325U model with true sine wave. If power goes out. It kicks over to battery at 5 m/s. Better be safe then sorry. Thanks Mr. FRIENDLY

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
that's not quite true.

if possible, you want true sine wave as with the new 80+ power rating, if your power goes out at the step stage of a simulated, it can cause a failure.

I don't understand that comment. What 'step stage'? You're talking about running a UPS on battery until the battery dies? Yeah. Don't do that.

Efficiency and true sine waves matter yes, but OPs question wasn't about efficiency when running on battery cause the power is out. The question is "Does it matter?". No, no it doesn't.

That's from a guy who work, and repairs up to 150000 KVA UPS backing up CT machines worth half a million dollars as his day job, and isn't a rep trying to up sell you more expensive products. :rofl:

sswilson

Staff member
I don't understand that comment. What 'step stage'? You're talking about running a UPS on battery until the battery dies? Yeah. Don't do that.

Efficiency and true sine waves matter yes, but OPs question wasn't about efficiency when running on battery cause the power is out. The question is "Does it matter?". No, no it doesn't.

That's from a guy who work, and repairs up to 150000 KVA UPS backing up CT machines worth half a million dollars as his day job, and isn't a rep trying to up sell you more expensive products. :rofl:

I think the suggestion is that a power failure at a specific point on the non-sine square(ish) wave output "might" cause a failure.

Maybe the suggestion is that the length of the up/down leg is longer on a square wave? Doesn't make sense if that's the case though as your "zero" is still a single instance on either the leading or lagging legs of the wave whether it's a sine wave or a square wave.

(I'm with you though... sounds more like an upsell than anything else... :) ).

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
artificial sine wave moves in steps/blocks, not a fluid wave.

Cyberpower has pure sign wave UPS that are very affordable. I've standardized all my UPS on their 1500VA / 900W model, for my electronics, since most of them are eco power certified now. Tripp Lite's start at about $500 I think, but Cyberpower's start at about $150.00.

you can see their entire lineup here:
https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups/pfc-sinewave/

Soultribunal

Staff member
that's not quite true.

Reps tend to market and work with broad strokes so to speak. Talk to an engineer.
From what I've learned and those I've spoken to over at JG as well, stepped sinewave and simulated sinewave will have little impact on active PFC PSU's.

Don't get me wrong , some applications like electric motors and such require a true sine wave to function but for your average user, these are fine. Where you gotta be careful IMO is standby vs line interactive.

-ST

Ernimus Prime

I have done a lot of reading on this. PSU with PFC can be vey fussy with UPS that uses simulated sine wave. And after done digging. Looks like EVGA G2 PSU like a true sine wave. Took a lot of time to find after digging through different forums. I'll be dreaming about UPS units tonight after all this reading lol.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Agree ST.

DC conversion power supplies of any sort don't really care what power is coming in. Bridge wave rectification cares not for round or square voltage, it only cares if its over the threshold to pass the voltage to the DC components of the circuitry.

Hell, theoretically you could have a solid 60hz square wave, and a computer PSU will still output proper voltages.

Latest posts