What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

UPS recycling

FreeKnight

Usually if you open it up and can get replacement batteries, they'll work again. Replacing the batteries is viable.

If not, it's the kind of thing you're supposed to drop off at the eco station or whatever your city calls their waste stations that usually take oil, batteries, fluorescent bulbs, etc

Entz

Looks like ~$70 to replace the batteries.

Replacement battery link says it's RBC124 which looks like a pair of 12V 7Ah batteries. You don't need to get original APC stuff, just find the cheapest ones on Amazon/eBay.
Yup. I just started going to a local battery place and they matched the cells and it was a fraction of the cost. Don't pay APC prices unless its for a business then they don't care :p

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Yup. I just started going to a local battery place and they matched the cells and it was a fraction of the cost. Don't pay APC prices unless its for a business then they don't care :p
This is the correct answer. These SLA's are like 20 bucks.

sswilson

Staff member
This is the correct answer. These SLA's are like 20 bucks.

Small caveat here.... the "local" part matters a fair bit (you need a good local source).... last time I looked into it you really needed to have a local source otherwise it was prohibitively expensive to pay for shipping of the batteries. When I first started looking at it they were covered by amazon's free shipping over $35, last time I looked (and I'll admit it's been a while) they were no longer covered by free shipping, and the local prices here in Moncton were basically 75% of a brand new unit.

Izerous

Folding Team
Battery World here is Edmonton is where I buy all my replacement UPS batteries. Plop the battery on the counter and they go grab the right one off the shelf.

Like others have mentioned just need to find the right supplier. The last one I "refurbished" was even an upgrade the newer batteries were actually higher Ah capacity (not by much but still).

danmitch1

Wow, seems like this is a common practice eh! Im glad I kept it.. Just a matter of sourcing a good priced cell.. awesome... thanks for the input guys..
While im on the subject though, I remember my boss getting these units about 3 years ago.. is this their typical life span ?

Latest posts

Twitter