What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

UPS recycling

lowfat

Staff member
I got one of those UPS in front of me. Open it up to see what current the battery is. Genuine APC battery. Yet I can't find anywhere on the battery what it's current rating. Hidden on purpose so you buy genuine batteries likely.

danmitch1

Oh for sure, nothing on the UPS website either.. but in general, asides from the battery physically fitting in the box. could I put any battery in there (no i dont mean AA lol) but like lets say a battery maybe for 1000watt into the 700?

Entz

I have underrated (i.e. 7.2AH vs 9) but never over but I can't see it being a big issue. These are basically motorcycle/LUV batteries with different terminals.

Last edited:

Entz

I got one of those UPS in front of me. Open it up to see what current the battery is. Genuine APC battery. Yet I can't find anywhere on the battery what it's current rating. Hidden on purpose so you buy genuine batteries likely.
Yeah I just googled them and people seem to have figured it out but as you say they hide it on purpose. Some of them have stickers under the APC labels so you can peel them off as well.

Soultribunal

Staff member
The BX1500M is showing its needs a APCRBC124 not the RBC17 so its 2 batteries in a carrier. The only thing to confirm is you can get the batteries out of the carrier so you can re-use it. The batteries are nothing special though.

The only time it gets wierd with the cartridges is sometimes how they 'bond' them together and at times fuse the batteries too. But if you're comfortable with disassembly and such, batteries are so easy and plentiful when you don't get them from the manufacturer.

The only exception to that, with me at least, is Vertiv. But I have a long standing commerical agreement with them so..

-ST

Entz

The only time it gets wierd with the cartridges is sometimes how they 'bond' them together and at times fuse the batteries too. But if you're comfortable with disassembly and such, batteries are so easy and plentiful when you don't get them from the manufacturer.
Yeah that would be my fear is that is going to be the new norm -- Sonic welding a carrier closed that cannot be opened without breaking it in order to make you buy OEM. Worst case you can buy ones in carriers from places like www.upsbatterycenter.ca (+Shipping or Amazon with the shipping built in) but it eats into the discount.

Reminds me a lot of printer inks. Putting in chips, sensors etc just to force you to pay extreme markup.

The few I have done so far that have carriers were fortunately just screwed together.

APC has a Lithium Ion line which should help with this as they cant overcharge the hell out of them like they do the SLAs and the batteries will last quite a bit longer. Expensive at the moment though.

edit: I am a terrible spelller

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Yep, as long as space & voltage requirements are met, bigger or smaller amp hours just changes the run time under load.

I'd be leery of the LION batteries for consideration of a direct replacement on devices designed for SLA due to the charging systems design as you mentioned @Entz.

Latest posts