What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

URGENT: Recover hard drive?

JD

Staff member
Well I have this old computer here that I was working on, and it BSOD'd after the hard drive starting clicking (click of death I suppose). Now of course it won't boot up or anything, hard drive still spins, clicks for a bit, then stops clicking but seems to still be spinning.

So anyway to get this thing running, even just long enough to pull everything off it?

It's a 40GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8.

I'm sure as hell am going to have a hard time explaining that to a guy that barely speaks English...

Arinoth

Staff member
Click of death, that can't be good. I would recommend first seeing if you can access the drive having it mounted in another computer, if you can that's great. If not, you'll have to look into data recovery software (which i can speak from first hand experience is not even 50% successful) or tell him hdd is pouched.

JD

Staff member
Yeah I've read about the freezer stuff, some say yes, some say no.

Funny though, that's the same drive (or looks identical) to the one I have here that's dead. This is a Compaq though, not a Dell.

Got nothing more to lose though, so I guess I'll toss it in the freezer overnight...

EDIT: Already tried in another PC. Shows as 0MB in the BIOS and the BIOS says some error about the drive. AFAIK the data recovery programs only work if the drive is still accessible.

Just going to be hard to say "Sorry, all your data is gone, and it wasn't my fault."

encorp

She's pooched.

It's an old drive, tell him it was on it's last legs anyways.

JD

Staff member
Spinrite can repair bad sectors and help you recover data if possible. Very slow tool but very effective.

GRC|SpinRite 5.0 to 6.0
Yup know of it, but like I said, the drive isn't recognizable as it stands.

Hard drive is in the freezer right now since I can't see it doing any more harm :whistle: If I could grab all his documents and stuff he had on the desktop, I'd have an easier time breaking the news IMO since I doubt he has anything backed up.

JD

Staff member
Well I tried it after about 2h in the freezer, drive is detectable somewhat now. BIOS reads the proper name and size, but Windows can't access it as of yet.

Going to go for the 24h now I guess. I have some hope at least.

geokilla

You the recovery tools or reparing tools that Seagate offers?

Have you tried accessing the hard drive with it installed on another computer? Like don't use that hard drive to boot up the OS and everything, just use it to get the data back.

silent1mezzo

Well I tried it after about 2h in the freezer, drive is detectable somewhat now. BIOS reads the proper name and size, but Windows can't access it as of yet.

Going to go for the 24h now I guess. I have some hope at least.
If that works I think you owe me a beer for finding the article :clap: I hope it works man, g'luck...

Latest posts

Twitter