What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

USB causes shutdown

Hunt

I've got a pretty random problem with the USB jacks on the front of my PC case (Fractal Design Refine). Sometimes when I plug something in, the computer immediately restarts. There is no BSOD or freeze, just goes to the post screen immediately.

I'm wondering if this is more likely to be an issue with the wiring in the case or more likely a motherboard problem? All the connections inside are made properly and I don't see anything that would cause an issue. The problem doesn't happen all the time, and I can't narrow down exactly when it will happen.

Any insight would be appreciated.

LaughingCrow

It sounds like a short somewhere or bad cable. Was it working previously?
What motherboard?

What happens when you plug a USB stick or other device cable to the back USB connectors - does it work?

------
USB ports are hot plugged, but AFAIK, not the case cables you plug into the motherboard USB headers.

Presuming you have 2 cables from the M/B to the case front - turn the computer off:
Disconnect one of the case USB cables from the motherboard - turn on computer, test both USB front ports to see if one of them works.
Turn off again, disconnect one, reconnect the other, turn on and test.

Computer off: try switching the USB case cables on the M/B if more than one, turn back on and see if that fixes one or both of the USB front ports.

That's probably what I'd do to troubleshoot it, but I'm not all that familiar with the motherboard USB headers, so you might want to wait for someone more experienced.

Last edited:

Lpfan4ever

Sounds like a short to me as well. Check the cable going from the port to your motherboard for any cuts or nicks that expose wire. That's what I'd do.

Hunt

I examined the cables carefully and everything looks good. I swapped the front USB cable connector to another one on my motherboard though. We'll see if that solves the problem.

I am having some other odd problems. 1 is that the power switch doesn't work anymore. I can't turn on the PC without using the power button physically on the motherboard. Also, sometimes the computer won't awake from sleep and I'll have to turn off the power supply itself to come back on.

I did get this motherboard awhile ago and it was refurbished and listed at 'Not Found Faulty' so I'm starting to question if it was returned because of these reasons. They're very hard to duplicate and might not be apparent during RMA testing.

proxy

Maybe it's the cable connections to the front panel? It sounds silly but have you checked the front panel as well, where the wires connect to the ports and switches? It sounds very much like there's a short there or some sort of other damage.

Hunt

I've pulled apart the front part of the case and examined all the cables closely. All the pins seem good, no wire damage, pulled out the power switch and it looks good. I'm at a loss here. Damn computer gremlins.

Lpfan4ever

If you have made sure that it's not physically a problem on the front panel/cables itself, next place I'd check would be the headers and more specifically the area around them. (Front and back) Since you say the power botton doesn't work either, there's a chance of motherboard problems as well, especially since you say it's a refurb.

KaptCrunch

Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P manual usb pinout. just have a multimeter to verify connections

on case socket to MB usb header.

note: power(5v) = vcc
and check only cable end (MB header plug) to socket with diode check setting on meter(zero means 100% connected some meters beep)

Attachments

• usb3.png
    usb3.png
    314.9 KB · Views: 57,649
  • usb2.png
    usb2.png
    180.5 KB · Views: 9,555
Last edited:

Latest posts