What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

USB hub failure?

Lysrin

You guys ever had a USB hub, external one, fail?

My wireless mouse started acting all flaky, dropping or missing movements, and so I thought the mouse was dying. But then I had my keyboard spontaneously drop and reconnect in the middle of a game. Also plugged into the hub.

So I disconnected and tried the hub in my monitor. Used the same cord as the external hub was using, and everything seems fine now.

Just seems odd for a device like that just to fail with no obvious trauma.

moocow

Not surprising. I had external SD card reader fail on me before. Electronic parts do have a limited life span plus the heat damage from being on all the time doesn't help.

frontier204

Yep I'm on my second USB 3.0 hub: I'm guessing capacitors died in my old hub (they're built like the cheap PSUs that would set a desktop on fire). I actually like the fact that the hub's power brick is bigger than the hub itself - hopefully it's built better.

Lysrin

I had an Anker one, what do you guys have? Might decide to replace the Anker and not use the monitor one just for more flexibility of placement and cabling.

Lysrin

I've got a TP link UH720 powered 7 port + 2 fast charge plugins. It's a beast.

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-UH720-Exclusive-Optimally-Compatible/dp/B00SCX6I8A/

Ah that is a nice one! Thanks Sagath. Didn't realise TP made them. There is so much stuff on Amazon and the like these days it is hard to weed through and find the good stuff.

Anker might replace it for free if you reach out to them.

I didn't think of that only because it is about a $40ish item and I wasn't sure it was worth the effort. But worth a try I suppose. If it means shipping the unit back and all that I might not bother but worth seeing what they say.

Lysrin

I've got a TP link UH720 powered 7 port + 2 fast charge plugins. It's a beast.

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-UH720-Exclusive-Optimally-Compatible/dp/B00SCX6I8A/

Follow up on this, checked with Anker, out of the warranty period. So no help from them, but since it is out of warranty that's cool. Quick and responsive support though, so points to them for that at least.

Purchased the TP-Link one and set it up today! Order has been restored to my desk :biggrin: Thanks for the recommendation Sagath! :thumb: It's a nice little unit.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Follow up on this, checked with Anker, out of the warranty period. So no help from them, but since it is out of warranty that's cool. Quick and responsive support though, so points to them for that at least.

Purchased the TP-Link one and set it up today! Order has been restored to my desk :biggrin: Thanks for the recommendation Sagath! :thumb: It's a nice little unit.

:thumb:

My workstation, and all of my coworkers are using them now too. Zero complaints.

Latest posts