What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Usb th-dumb drive

danmitch1

Hi guys, I have this verbatim 8 gb thumb drive that seems dead or corrupted. I tried all the usual tricks mentioned here
Virtual Disk Service error: There is no media in the device. is the error i get..

So In that link at the end it says you can try rebuilding the MBR but the software isnt free (of course)

Is there a way to do this without 3rd party sw?

Lysrin

Have you tried accessing it on Linux? Sometimes you can get farther on Linux, if your goal at this point is just getting the files off the drive.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Seeing as you can get a 5-pack of 8GB USB drives for $20 on Amazon, is it really worth the effort?

Lysrin

Seeing as you can get a 5-pack of 8GB USB drives for $20 on Amazon, is it really worth the effort?

We must have posted at the same time! I agree not for the drive itself, but perhaps for the files on the drive.

danmitch1

Nope, no files to recover. Its also not mine, my colleague asked me if I could fix it.. I think its brand new..
No access to Linux either unfortunately, I suppose I could run a virtual instance/?

oh and yeah, its really just for the challenge of fixing it, and showing off to my less tech savy co workers lol

Izerous

Folding Team
When in doubt i resort to linux for things like that too. Too many times run into formats that a device simply doesn't understand. It is amazing how many things can only understand fat/fat32 and will throw a fit when they encounter ex-fat etc. Or a Mac drive on Windows not being read properly.

I was going to ask if you made sure you tried formatting it but the link you provided seems to cover anything I would have directly suggested along those lines.

Lysrin

Nope, no files to recover. Its also not mine, my colleague asked me if I could fix it.. I think its brand new..
No access to Linux either unfortunately, I suppose I could run a virtual instance/?

oh and yeah, its really just for the challenge of fixing it, and showing off to my less tech savy co workers lol

Well that is indeed a pure and noble effort! :p You may be able to access it with linux and the reformat it on there with gparted or similar tool. Worth a shot if you can set up a VM. Linux and VirtualBox are free, so just a matter of how much time you want to spend to prove yourself ;)

danmitch1

Thanks guys, im off work tomorrow so ill get back at it Thursday.
I did try disk part (elevated ), thats what gave me the error " Virtual Disk Service error: There is no media in the device. "

Latest posts