What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

USB vs. PCI Wireless Adapters

Shimakaze

Due to the layout of my motherboard and location conflict with PCI-E cards, it won't be possible for me to use a PCI wireless adapter anymore. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with both USB and PCI wireless adapters in a desktop PC, and noticed any difference in network performance.

LarkStarr

I find USB adapters aren't as powerful, personally.

Given a choice of the two I usually suggest PCI / PCI-E

Shimakaze

LarkStarr

...I'd actually be interested to see how that compares to the rest of the solutions. Ethernet could definitely provide enough power for a good antenna.. I have a feeling though that would be more powerful then USB.
I don't know about better then PCI-E/PCI though.. I would assume no difference there. An expansion slot would be the cleaner solution for sure though, if that's a cosideration.

too bad it's only G though. N compatibility would be helpful!

Shimakaze

Rj 45 antenna no pci slot :biggrin:

The antenna you linked isn't actually an RJ45 antenna (I had never heard of such thing), unless I'm missing something. It looks like it's just a wireless antenna extender, i.e. you replace the stock antenna on your wireless adaptor with that so you can have it receive/transmit from a location away from your tower to get better signal.

Arinoth

Staff member
Well what i would suggest is going to Future Shop/Best Buy and buy whatever signal your wireless router is broadcasting (Wireless G, G+, N) usb wireless network adapter and see what the speeds look like. If you think its too slow, sluggish, non-responsive you have 15-30 days to return it and attempt other more complicated solutions

clone63

I would say return it anyway. Use it as a tester.
FS/BB can almost always be beaten for price.

grinder

i used a Linksys Wireless N USB-Dongle for a while, seems to work fine. Did not feel sluggish. The freedom of placing the USB dongle elsewhere around the desk using a USB Extension cable was nice too.

Latest posts