What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

USB3.0 Flash drive worth it?

jcmaz

Hey HWC,

I recent bought 2 USB3.0 flash drives for $25 (tax included) each. I was wondering if they are worth it (USB2.0 vs USB3.0) for the extra 5-6 dollars I'm paying.

I bought the Adata drive, but I'm thinking of getting the Corsair one.
NCIX.com - Buy ADATA AS102-16G-RGY 16GB USB3.0 Flash Memory Drive Titanium Grey - AData Technology - AS102-16G-RGY - in Canada

NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Flash Voyager CMFUSB2.0-16GB 16GB USB2.0 Flash Drive - Corsair - CMFUSB2.0-16GB - in Canada

Lastly, has anyone used Adata products? How are they?

Thanks!

enaberif

USB 3.0 in my opinion isn't really worth it all as its all just marketing hype.

Unless you build your systems or specifically look for 3.0 on stuff.. I found manufacturers still ship a lot with 2.0

lowfat

Staff member
I have a USB 3.0 Corsair Voyager. It works great. For USB 3.0 it does about 60MB/s IIRC. it is also the fastest USB 2.0 drive ive used.

Last edited:

Eldonko

Ive tested 3.0 vs. 2.0 and USB 3.0 copies files about 3.5 times faster than USB 2.0 (results depend on the drive and type of USB 3.0). It is your call whether or not that is worth the extra $. To me it is.

LightningJR

i have found it to be bought it most of your pc that it will every see are only 2.0 then no

HUH?? :p

I feel USB3.0 is worth it. Copying a big file on to a 16/32GB+ USB drive can be excruciatingly long IMO anything to shorten the time it takes is a huge plus. Bad thing is that if you get a cheap USB3 drive you'll probably get good read speeds but little change from USB2.0 in write. Which is good for some scenarios like installing an OS from the flash drive. I know very little about AData sorry.

lowfat

Staff member
Think you mean Have. :whistle:
That is what I get for typing on my iPad immediately after waking up.

HUH?? :p

I feel USB3.0 is worth it. Copying a big file on to a 16/32GB+ USB drive can be excruciatingly long IMO anything to shorten the time it takes is a huge plus. Bad thing is that if you get a cheap USB3 drive you'll probably get good read speeds but little change from USB2.0 in write. Which is good for some scenarios like installing an OS from the flash drive.

Except that Windows can still be only installed via USB2.0 bus. Kind of sucks since that is the main reason I bought a USB3.0 drive.

Eldonko

You are right that W7 doesnt natively support USB 3.0 so it wont work like USB 2.0 but you can slipstream the USB 3.0 drivers into your own boot.wim and it will work with a 3.0 stick. It is a little hassle to set it up initially but after that you are good for many installs. :thumb:
Except that Windows can still be only installed via USB2.0 bus. Kind of sucks since that is the main reason I bought a USB3.0 drive.

lowfat

Staff member
You are right that W7 doesnt natively support USB 3.0 so it wont work like USB 2.0 but you can slipstream the USB 3.0 drivers into your own boot.wim and it will work with a 3.0 stick. It is a little hassle to set it up initially but after that you are good for many installs. :thumb:

You've been able to install W7 this way before? I use RT7 everytime I do a Windows install so incorporating the USB3.0 driver shouldn't be hard. Just didn't know this was the problem.

Latest posts

Twitter