What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

USB3/SATA6 Question

ImmaPC

Okay, I want to upgrade soon to avoid making my stuff obsolete. USB3/SATA6 are out. Fortunately they aren't catching on super quickly, giving me some time to plan this out and amass required funds.

So I noticed that pretty much every board which supports these new technologies also has SATA3 and USB2 on it. Apparently this is because Intel doesn't have support for USB3/SATA6 in their current 1366 or 1156 chipsets (ICH10/P55, etc). So in order to get USB3/SATA6 support, board makers put separate chips on their boards.

If I want to upgrade to a board that can do USB3/SATA6 I can get one with a couple extra chips on it, or I can wait until Intel supports this (ICH11 or something)

My question is if I run out and get a new USB3/SATA6 board now will it have less performance then a supposed ICH11 or P65 or X68? How long will it be 'till a new Intel platform?

Raserei408

Not sure if anyone really knows when Intel will offer native support. Only chipset out right now that has any kind of native support is 890GX/FX which have native SATA III.

ImmaPC

Did a bit of googling and found that apparently Intel's coming out with X68/ICH11 in Q2, according to this article Not sure if it's legit but hell, if it's that soon than I'll wait. It's nice having new stuff.:haha:

lowfat

Staff member
Did a bit of googling and found that apparently Intel's coming out with X68/ICH11 in Q2, according to this article Not sure if it's legit but hell, if it's that soon than I'll wait. It's nice having new stuff.:haha:

Pretty sure that is wrong. I don't believe we will see an ICH11R till 2011.

CroSsFiRe2009

Yea, Intel won't be releasing a new ICH till 2010. If you go X58, just go for a board that has enough pcie space for an expansion card. For P55, get one with a PLX chip onboard like on the Asus -E series boards

Eldonko

Yah I wouldnt bother waiting, just grab a board with USB3/SATA6, there are plenty out now. They may be advantages to P65 or whatever in the future but that is true for any component you buy - in 6 months there is something better.

bojangles

Some USB3/SATA6bps boards cripple the PCI-E lanes considerably (i.e. the board will run x8/x1 if USB3 is enabled). You may want to look for a board that uses an nForce chip to provide the extra PCI-E lanes to keep at least x8/x8 mode for Crossfire. If you don't use Crossfire, you don't necessarily have to worry about that if you run a card like a 5870 or below.

ImmaPC

I had the Asus P6X58D Premium in mind. I'm gonna google to see if it gets PCI-E crippling. Otherwise to hell with USB3 I'll just get a P6T7 and an add-in card

Latest posts