What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Using 1 toggle switch for all PC lights

acegames2much

Hi everyone

I am new and I'm not very good with wiring. I will explain what I'm trying to do and also link a thread previously discussed on these forums, similar to what I want to do. Unfortunately the post never answered the original question, or at least I didn't see the answer.

I am building an new PC in a Cosmos II case. The built in fan/led controller can handle my 9 bitsfenix pro spectre LED fans, but can't turn off the LED's themselves. So I want to install a switch that will control the LED's of the all the fans, 4 LED strips located around the case (1 long one around the door/2 on gpu blocks/1 under an acrylic etched glass.), and 2 cold cathodes that will illuminates a logo on a panel that lacks the window. I have no idea how to do this. All I know is the bitsfenix fans get power for the fan and LEDs from the 3 pin off the controller. The 2 pin off the controller also sends a current thus I can't use it to control the LEDs (not even 100% sure on this). Also the cold cathodes come with a inverter which also has a switch. I will link all the products I'm using and some helpful specs.

Thanks in advance, sorry if I'm a noob at this :(

Old thread: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/52432-using-toggle-switch-operate-all-lights.html

Cosmos II case: Amazon.com: Cooler Master Cosmos II - Ultra Full Tower Computer Case with Metal Body and Hinged Side Panels: Electronics

Cosmos II fan controller: PublicKnowledge - Fan Support for Cosmos II Fan Controller Explained

Bitfenix fans: BitFenix.com » Products » Accessories » Spectre Pro LED

LED strips (red): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DTOAW3O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

LED strips (white): Amazon.com: LE® Lampux 12V Flexible Waterproof LED Strip Lights, Daylight White, Super Bright 300 Units 5050 LEDs, Light Strips, Pack of 16.4ft/5m: Home Improvement

Cold cathodes: Amazon.com: KingWin 12-Inch Cathode Light, White (CCLT-12WT): Computers & Accessories

clshades

What you really need to be doing is adding up all the amps each of those things use. A really high end fan controller will do about 50watts per channel with 5 amps. I highly doubt the coolermaster fan controller can deal with it.
You will need something like this to start. From your link there about the coolermaster controller it looks as though each header can only do 1amp. That's nothing man... it wont run all the stuff you want and I don't recommend it. That wiring block doesn't have any cooling and they can get hot enough to start a fire.

Then you will need a control block that the controller can control too. Like a power hub. One switch on the lamptron with the right wiring could theoretically control the power block and anything connected to it.

You will probably never be able to run all that stuff off one switch unless you make your own power block that has enough dplugs to cover all your amperage. If you don't know what you are doing you'll likely cause a fire or fry part of your computer or PSU. Creating the electronics you are describing requires a back ground in electronics.

The only option I can think off hand to make it simple would be to add a smallish PSU to the computer you are already using that only runs fans. Fishingfanatic has a forum sale thread that sells dual PSU dongles so the main PSU can turn on another PSU via the power button on your case. If you buy a switch that can handle 120v to open the circuit to the secondary PSU you'll be able to control all your stuff with one switch. Or you just turn the switch off on the 2nd PSU. Or you move the switch on the second 2nd PSU to another location. I know my case supports dual PSU's but not many do. You might be able to hide a secondary PSU in side the case under the removable drive bays. I dunno....:whistle:

Anyway... that coolermaster fan controller can basically handle 1 or 2 cheapo fans and nothing high performance. :doh:

According to bitfenix the fans are .18amps each =/-10% so you can do five fans per channel on that coolermaster but it will probably start to get hot. That doesn't include the LED's I believe and you'll lose a little on the wye splitters so maybe 4 fans max without LED's :doh:

A secondary switched PSU would be the easiest option imo.... :thumb:

OR you can forget all that and buy what I use. I have this controller and I love it. You can jumper any color you want and I could do probably 20 fans per channel but that's a ton of splitters and unrealistic. Currently this thing runs all my fans so I can shut off half the fans on my water cooling when it's idle to save power.

Last edited:

acegames2much

Another idea I was having was doing this. Adding 2 toggle switches to my PC. One will control the LEDs on the fan and other will control the cold cathodes. Apparently it turns out that I can use the led switch located on the CM fan controller to turn off and on the LED strips within the cpu. Here are the links and videos of some things ppl have done. Let me know what you guys think. Maybe you can figure out something better instead.

Thanks for help

for all the fan LEDs: http://www.microcenter.com/product/429033/2-pin_power_distribution_pcb_8-way_block

Switches: Vandal Resistant Illuminated Latching Switch - Black - 18/16mm - Red Ring (Black color)

Using switch on bitfenix power fans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LURrEa4Rh9I

Using switch for Cold cathode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGDo98pQq-Y

Forum post#4485 on how CM2 fan cancontrol Bitfenix alchemy LED (which seems to just be a simple LED strip, I hope, so ill make my own): Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Club - Page 449

Latest posts

Twitter