What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Using a Pi for basic games from steam/epic?

Bond007

So I am having some issues with my old HP box that I have connected to my TV. The reality is that we don’t use it for much at all now. That said, we do occasionally use it for basic games (for example, jackbox party packs). I have some on epic games and some steam.

I know steam didn’t like arm CPUs in the past, but I have never played with a raspberry pi. Is there any chance (if I can’t fix the pc) that I could get a pi4 and set it up to run these non-demanding games, or is it a bridge too far due to x86 vs arm? Not interested in streaming in, has to play it.

Bond007

Steam Link/Stream with a Pi4 is quite doable. Why isnt that an option you're interested in?

Alternatively you can emulate Linux and try doing that; https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/raspberry-pi-install-steam
But it'll only play low end games apparently.

Outside that, you're out of luck.
I don’t want to deal with needing my pc running to do something on my tv (different rooms). I am just trying to think about making things more compact, but if the pi can’t do what I want, I would just look for another basic sff pc.

That being said, I am all for playing with a little Pi box if it could run jackbox games etc.

Shadowmeph

I think my old raspi 3 last year maybe year before I was playing using an emulator things like old sega Nintendo and PlayStation 1 I think 2 games on it I seem to remember playing Final fantasy 7 on my pi but again it was a couple of years ago

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I think my old raspi 3 last year maybe year before I was playing using an emulator things like old sega Nintendo and PlayStation 1 I think 2 games on it I seem to remember playing Final fantasy 7 on my pi but again it was a couple of years ago

RetroPi will emulate quite a few things from the console world, just not modern things. And definitely not Steam.

JD

Staff member
Probably best off with one of the Intel Atom "on a stick" computers that basically just plug into the HDMI port. Or the larger "mini PC" models that are more like a NUC. Some random examples:

I'm guessing a Pi4 would end up in the realm of $100-150 once you got case, power supply, microSD, etc anyhow, so those really aren't much more to have full x86.

Izerous

Folding Team
Raspberry pi 4 still has issues with dreamcast and n64 emulation. Have not tried to load steam up on it at all.

Bond007

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess, for now, the pi won't be an option for what I want.