What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Valve announces Half Life: Alyx - a VR only game

Entz

Wish it wasn't VR though :( Missed Opportunity

danmitch1

What happened to the episodes of HL2? I was looking forward to the next one...

Lysrin

Although I liked the HL games, this one won't suck me in due to the VR requirement. There are so many other good games I'm playing I just can't see shelling out for VR to play it, not to mention what it might demand for PC specs for good VR gameplay! Plus VR still isn't a comfortable option for me as a glasses wearer.

That other big thing about this is can they ever live up to the expectations? People have been wanting more HL for so long, looking back with gaming's equivalent of rose-coloured glasses to a degree, that the pressure on this title will be huge. Plus, the reality is that the gamers that loved the original HL games don't seem the same as a lot of the current gaming audience, particularly based on what is considered a "good" game on consoles. It'll be interesting to see what they can pull off.

I predict they won't be able satisfy the original HL fans with this offering.

Entz

That other big thing about this is can they ever live up to the expectations?
I think doing it with Alyx was a smart move in this regard as you can have her off doing things that are independent and still be fun without a lot of the baggage of Gordon/GMan. Somewhere it was mentioned this would be in pre HL2 timeline so it could be the wacky adventures of her, her father and a portal gun vs the formation of the combine or something.

Blue shift was quite enjoyable imo, and didn't mess with the story really.

JD

Staff member
bet they're gonna make a pitch and roll it in with the price of buying their VR headset.
That would have worked a few years ago when the Vive launched... I honestly had expected a HL3 drop when Vive came out to be a launch title. However they're way too late, as per the norm with Valve.

Latest posts

Twitter