What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Vancouver Canucks...

YukonTrooper

Alright, I'm off to bed. Lots of coffee for work tomorrow.

thvXx.jpg

FlyingFish

I blame the media. For years, everytime a police officer, right or wrong has done something that might be considered "excessive force" they get blasted for it. When a situation arises where excessive force would be a really good idea, the police are apprehensive about the idea. If someone runs up to you and starts kicking you, bashing them with a plastic shield and then letting them run away is stupid.

But if you grab him, pull him to the ground and cuff him, the whiners cry "police brutality" and in the end this sort of shit happens.

bainne

Had the "pleasure" (sarcasm quotes) of being down there, got out safely thankfully. Had been to Game 5,6 and 7, and the crowd of Game 7 was completely different.

There was a LOT of young and/or immature "kids", from 18-25, who seemed to already have their minds made up they wanted to cause destruction and in fact weren't even interested from hockey.

What's interesting was on the streets I actually didn't see THAT much alcohol consumption. It seemed like many of the rowdy crowd actually came down just before the game started, and were mostly already sloshed.

Drug use was very heavy though and completely ignored - mainly because PD and Security had no way of moving through the crowds.

Tensions were high even before the game started, as there were way to many people that had been "let in". Everyone wanted to get as close to the front as they could, and eventually standing room became a complete sardine can. People weren't even watching the hockey game, just there smoking it up and getting into a frenzy over what ever they could.

I heard numerous comments from the "kids" around me, that they were going to "******* destroy something" if the Canucks lost

Needless to say, our party actually left for a friends condo midway through the second because we had already detected things felt unsafe - though our fear was the ridiculous tight packed crowds.

If I had to chalk it up to one thing that could have vastly reduced the potential for violence, it would have been space. The designated walkways were respected in Game 5 & 6, but in Game 7, people packed so tightly that it was physically impossible for any sort of enforcement personal to move between the crowds and observe - instead they were forced to the far sides and everyone was already agitated, even more from the loss - but there was no way to address situations in the middle of the crowd.

Ironically, the first car, the Versa or what ever it was, was the lone car on the main street throughout the entire venue. When we arrived in the early afternoon, I specifically remarked to my buddy that the idiot who left his car there was going to get a nasty surprise tomorrow from people sitting and standing on the hood to get a better view, and that they really should tow it out of the way because as soon as someone makes a dent, or smashes a window - it will trigger the destructive nature of the crowd.
Boy.....

Perineum

I blame the media. For years, everytime a police officer, right or wrong has done something that might be considered "excessive force" they get blasted for it. When a situation arises where excessive force would be a really good idea, the police are apprehensive about the idea. If someone runs up to you and starts kicking you, bashing them with a plastic shield and then letting them run away is stupid.

But if you grab him, pull him to the ground and cuff him, the whiners cry "police brutality" and in the end this sort of shit happens.

I have to disagree with that.

If police were to do the typical thing they'd be taking their nightsticks and punching people in the face at random, even ones that aren't doing anything.

Generic User #2

I have to disagree with that.

If police were to do the typical thing they'd be taking their nightsticks and punching people in the face at random, even ones that aren't doing anything.

clearly you're doing something retarded.

you shouldn't interfere or badmouth the cops just cause you know you can call 'police brutality' and get away with it.

all the headlines against vancouver cops have been the result of less than 10 different cops. The unpublicized ones are just drunk asses.

Latest posts