What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Verical vs Horizontal Hard Drive Mounting

Johnboy

Hi everyone,
I'm a short time lurker...first time poster :bleh:
Does it matter if you mount a hard drive vertically vs horizontally? I ask because I was doin research on the new antec p182 case and someone mentioned that they would NEVER use a vertical mounted hard drive computer case (I think their point was they have been around awhile and have seen bad things happen when you don't mount the hard drives horizontally).
Coincidentally, someone on ncix website had a similar question and the consensus was that it didn't matter...something to do with "fluid dynamic bearings" :)censored: is a "fluid dynamic bearing" anyways?)

Sooo what is your opinions on longevity of vertical mounting hard drives?

I REALLY would like to get a p182 BUT not if it means replacing hard drives every year or two!

Thanks!

enaberif

Hi everyone,
I'm a short time lurker...first time poster :bleh:
Does it matter if you mount a hard drive vertically vs horizontally? I ask because I was doin research on the new antec p182 case and someone mentioned that they would NEVER use a vertical mounted hard drive computer case (I think their point was they have been around awhile and have seen bad things happen when you don't mount the hard drives horizontally).
Coincidentally, someone on ncix website had a similar question and the consensus was that it didn't matter...something to do with "fluid dynamic bearings" :)censored: is a "fluid dynamic bearing" anyways?)

Sooo what is your opinions on longevity of vertical mounting hard drives?

I REALLY would like to get a p182 BUT not if it means replacing hard drives every year or two!

Thanks!

makes no difference.

Rapid-X

wait a sec

makes no difference.
depends if u put it vertivcallly it might skip. I know u guys are probally laughin but i had 4 drives in my case at once so i made a braket vetically to mount all the drives and i bumped the case one day by accident tryin to get a cd off the floor and my harddrive skipped which gave me a blue screen and shut my system down. it fired back up normal but im sure it was from that cause i tried it again and it did the same thing.

enaberif

depends if u put it vertivcallly it might skip. I know u guys are probally laughin but i had 4 drives in my case at once so i made a braket vetically to mount all the drives and i bumped the case one day by accident tryin to get a cd off the floor and my harddrive skipped which gave me a blue screen and shut my system down. it fired back up normal but im sure it was from that cause i tried it again and it did the same thing.

Vertically or horizontally makes no difference.

Your hard drive skipped because you lacked vibration mounts and jerked your hard drive enough to cause this. I have done this on many computers and you'll have to reboot and pray.

It has nothing to do with the mount.

Latest posts