What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

VESA monitor pole mount as Hotas Mount: suggestions? Alts?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I seem to recall one or more people month their Hotas setup to a chair or desk via VESA monitor and that use pole mounts. Does anyone know of a specific model or brand? I've found a could if generic ones, but the biggest issue seems to be that most/all won't be able to clamp onto a 1.5-2" thick IKEA table leg. From what i can find, there'll all made for 1" poles....

So as always, suggestions welcome? Or alternate ideas would work too. But attaching to my chair isn't an option, nor can I afford a new chair :/

The only other option I've found is a mouse pad mount, but I'm not sure it would be strong enough and it didn't lock in position, meaning it would twist away from me.

Thanks as always folks

sswilson

Staff member

This is the one I used. 3 1/2" between the two screw mounts and the included machine screws will extend out to 1 1/2" on the square part of the clamping surface. If you needed more than 1 1/2" you could either source longer screws (big ass metric something.... ) or source longer imperial machine screws that will fit through the existing screw hole and secure it with nuts and washers.

sswilson

Staff member
@sswilson ah ha! I knew someone here had done it, just couldn't remember who.

That linked model looks very similar to the ones I've found on Amazon for the job:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07N6MZHT5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bsEeFb71YKN20

How well does your setup work btw? Solid enough? Doesn't wobble? Enough distance from the desk surface?

Heh... I'd like to say it's survived countless hours of use, but in spite of it appearing to be quite strong, it seems I was much more interested in building the bloody thing than using it.... I never really did take the time to get into the hotas thing.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Heh... I'd like to say it's survived countless hours of use, but in spite of it appearing to be quite strong, it seems I was much more interested in building the bloody thing than using it.... I never really did take the time to get into the hotas thing.

Regardless, you made it. How well did it serve it's purpose? You must've gotten at least some impressions on how well it functioned, lessons learned, etc ...

I'm nearly broke, so I can't afford to spend $80 bucks on VESA brackets that won't do the job. I just need an affordable way to get things set up. But since most "real" Hotas mounts are $80 for One... Well, the savings would be very well worth the effort, imo.

sswilson

Staff member
It felt like it would function well, and the pivot points were based on nuts/bolts so they can easily be tightened up if they start to loosen up.

sswilson

Staff member
In case it's not coming up in your searches....

Twitter