What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

video card makes noise when in games

Cowboy

I say pull one of the cards and test them individually, and if you can, test the system without both of them or with another card altogether.

sascwatch

tested both cards individually, still makes the noise. Tried different pic-e slots and still makes the noise with each card one at a time.

Will try a different game next.

sascwatch

tried a different video card and the noise is still present, also tried different games and still makes the noise only when tabbed into the game.

trying to un-install an update that came out this morning see if that has something to do with it.

Silvgearx

it would help if you listed system specs.

as far as i know ALL 8800GT ARE alpha dog edition.

your 100% its not one of your case fans/PSU/harddrive?

your saying its a click/tick sound.....

a faulty gpu would probably have a weird squeal or hum noise

bissa

your computer just hates you, happens to me all the time (it will stop letting me log on or access the internet for 20-30 minutes and without doing anything it will come back). but truthfully, that is really strange, check your sound card, it may be something similar in all the games about the sound output that it does not like. I doubt it but it is a suggestion.

sascwatch

its kind of like a buzzing sound, not to rapid but i succession.

system specs:
i7 920 @ stock speeds for now
evga x58mobo
6gb aeneon Xtune DDR3
Corsair HX850W
Corsair Obsidian 800D

cpu, mobo and mosfets are all under water.

when tabbed into a game, i can move my ear from top to bottom and it gets louder when i pass by the first video card and then even louder in between them.

I can play a full screen 1080i movie and it doesn't make the noise.

Silvgearx

well it could be a lot of things.

but i think its probably the cards, because XFX have terrible quality control on there gpus :blarg:

best and easiest option for you right now is to try the card on a different machine.

if its the card, RMA it.

sascwatch

it could have been making this noise for a while now, and i just didnt notice it. I had the side off my computer to clean a bit of dust off one of my wc'ing tubes and heard it.

the 7600 i tried makes the noise aswell, i tried the ''eraser" trick on different parts of the motherboard where the sound is originating from and nothing changed.

not noticing any kind of performance issues either, I'll let it go for a few days and if something breaks it breaks. :sad:

Latest posts