What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Video Card Overheating Prevention Tutorial

taimoorali007

One thing Mr. Arinoth, i have MSI GTX 560-TI-TFII and as you guyz mentioned in my previous thread that 55-70C is good temp for GPU! But if i use MSI Afterburner for increasing fan speed according to temp. will it be risky for my fan like stopping etc or not. As my friend experienced this. He set fan speed and suddenly this fan got off and GPU was sparking :O

Plz tell me in this scenario, there is a fault in Driver update as he was using beta version of nV driver or something else with Afterburner??

Thanks!

Arinoth

Staff member
That would probably the first case I've heard of that ever happening. I've been using this or similar setup for years on my cards, and I know others have (either using a custom fan profile or just running their fan at faster speeds for long terms). It sounds like there was a manufacturer defect from the start, could have been a lower end brand or just a ticking time bomb.

Arinoth

Staff member
It should be fine, there is no 100% guarantee, but really what happened to your friend is in the smaller rarity of happening

lKashl

One thing Mr. Arinoth, i have MSI GTX 560-TI-TFII and as you guyz mentioned in my previous thread that 55-70C is good temp for GPU! But if i use MSI Afterburner for increasing fan speed according to temp. will it be risky for my fan like stopping etc or not. As my friend experienced this. He set fan speed and suddenly this fan got off and GPU was sparking :O

Plz tell me in this scenario, there is a fault in Driver update as he was using beta version of nV driver or something else with Afterburner??

Thanks!

That would definitely be a defect with the card, the fans on GPU's are supposed to be incapable of spinning at anything below 20% unless you hardware tweak it/overwrite the bios. As Arinoth said, theres a 99.99999% chance that you will be fine using MSI afterburner, and 0.00001 chance of something going wrong :thumb:

Adzsask

Just adding some numbers for people to compare. Stock EVGA 480 in open case idle-43C load-92C @100% fan speed, added a 120mm fan blowing directly under the card forcing air into the card, and changed stock TIM, idle-38C load-86C @ 100% fan speed. Then bought a bracket and removed the stock cards shroud, and added an antec kuhler 620 closed loop cooler to the GPU core, idle-32C load-52C with fan@40%!!!.

NyteOwl

Just adding some numbers for people to compare. Stock EVGA 480 in open case idle-43C load-92C @100% fan speed, added a 120mm fan blowing directly under the card forcing air into the card, and changed stock TIM, idle-38C load-86C @ 100% fan speed. Then bought a bracket and removed the stock cards shroud, and added an antec kuhler 620 closed loop cooler to the GPU core, idle-32C load-52C with fan@40%!!!.

Did you do anything additional to cool the memory and VR's?

Toto

What is a normal temperature range when gaming. I just got my first SLI set-up using 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 570's (2.5GB) cards @ stock speeds. After playing Boarderlands 2 for about 45-60min, my top card reached 97deg.C (206deg.F), while my second card was at 89deg.C (192deg.F). Are these normal temperatures? Seems very hot to me.

Thanks.

bliz

No it's bad. for those card i would not go over 80c ,just for the lifespan, of course it will run hotter but you have to know that those cards instant die at 105 - 110c ,tested :p and proved,so yeah,if you play at 97c they won't last long bro^^ you have to do something. for those cards,for a 24/7 use i recommend a max of

80c in games...i suggest you make a custom fan graph or buy a new case or check cable management or clean the cards.

The single fan of EVGA GTX 570 quite sucks, nothing is better than a good powerful dual fan config like twinfroz or DCll. Try to remove a card and see the temps, i would like to know.. normally it should peak around 75-80c.

Last edited:

Toto

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I took care of the problem. First, I completely took apart my computer. I used a dremel and drill and made space for more fans & bigger fans. I bought 6 new fans, 3-140mm & 3-120mm. I installed 2-140mm fans in the front as intakes and a 120mm on the side panel blowing directly onto the graphic cards. For exhaust I put a 140mm on top and 2-120mm fans configured to push & pull through the radiator and out the back. I also cleaned up all the cables to allow maximum airflow through the case. It's been a really fun project these past few days and I've learned a lot. Once everything was installed, I customized all the case fan & cpu fan settings. I then downloaded the MSI Afterburner software and tweaked the graphic cards fans by following the guide on the first post in this section. BTW, thank you for that tutorial/guide, it was very helpful. So, for the conclusion, I went from 97deg.C (top card) / 89deg.C (bottom card), to 70deg.C (top) / 65deg.C (bottom). That's 27deg.C cooler on the top card!!! 24deg.C cooler on the bottom! Also, because of the fans I used, the system is actually a lot more silent when I'm not gaming. During gaming the EVGA GTX 570 fans quite loud. The way I configured the fan curve, the top card peaked at 77% (3930 RPM) when the temp reached 70deg. Now I'm thinking of going a little less aggressive with the fan curve to reduce some of the noise.