What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Video card running at PCI-e 1.1

ht_addict

Just curious I have a Gigabyte GA 890fx-ud5 board that supports PCI-2.0 and so do my videocards. Running GPU-z utility reports my cards running in 1.1 mode. Does the cards throttle back when not running full tilt? Or am I missing something?

frontier204

Does the cards throttle back when not running full tilt?
Yes. Run a GPU-heavy application ([email protected] / OCCT GPU / FurMark) and see what happens then, although there are other things at play here, including the following:

• GPU not seated properly
  • Dirty contacts
  • Oddity with northbridge / GPU driver
  • Bad motherboard
  • Bad GPU

What's the width of the link? (x8/x16 or lower?)

I'm currently in the painful process of attempting to squeeze an RMA number out of ASUS for a Radeon 4870 that is running at PCIE 2.0 x1 instead of x16 :angry2:

ht_addict

Yes. Run a GPU-heavy application ([email protected] / OCCT GPU / FurMark) and see what happens then, although there are other things at play here, including the following:

• GPU not seated properly
  • Dirty contacts
  • Oddity with northbridge / GPU driver
  • Bad motherboard
  • Bad GPU

What's the width of the link? (x8/x16 or lower?)

I'm currently in the painful process of attempting to squeeze an RMA number out of ASUS for a Radeon 4870 that is running at PCIE 2.0 x1 instead of x16 :angry2:
One card is in the x16/x4. Had to go this route because I changed out the noisy stock coolers with Artic Cooling Twin Turbo Pro's and they take up the space. Did what you said about running a GPU heavy app(Heaven benchmark) and it did change to running in 2.0. All is well:clap:

Latest posts

Twitter