What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Video Driver Failure Troubleshooting

Arinoth

Staff member
This seems to be a win 10 issue. There is a thread around here for that exact problem with win 10. You can try what Vittra suggested, it seems to have limited success. Otherwise a reinstall seems to be the fix here.
I was having this happen in Win 8.1, on my fresh install of Win 10 no issues luckily.

Surfer_2099

Upon further testing, I have determined the PSU is good and furnishing constant voltages and power.

I am now convinced it is either the motherboard itself (difficult to know absolutely without replacing), OS issues (some corrupt files in the install that were not absolutely corrected by Win 10 upgrade) or perhaps even DirectX issues.

Anyone have a link to GOOD instructions on how to completely uninstall Direct X and then reinstall it clean?

Regards
Surfer_2099

sweenytodd

You can't uninstall DirectX completely. DirectX is a integral part of Windows. Like Windows Explorer. You will never see a desktop on the screen w/o Explorer. You might want to reinstall Windows instead.

clshades

Yeh do what sweeny said. re-install windows on stock settings (no overclock) and see how it goes. Do a really base install too without tons of software too... EG get the computer running one of your fav video games with the most minimal install and see if you have the same issues. It might help narrow it down.

Surfer_2099

OK... will look into clean install this weekend. Gonna be a pain in the butt to back up all my files and whatnot but oh well.

I forced my Windows 7 upgrade to Win 10. Does anyone know if there is a way to do a clean Win10 install directly, or must I install Windows 7 again, do all the updates and then force the upgrade again?

Thanks!
Surfer

Groove

You can download Windows 10 and create an install dvd/usb with the Media Creation Tool they released and install a fresh copy that way.

KaptCrunch

in a command prompt type "dxdiag" this will run dx checker tool an must be online

tick the checkbox lower left

Attachments

Surfer_2099

DirectX is ok. So seems to be audio drivers.

Have uninstalled all games with exception of a few that I know have issue.

Also have uninstalled Steam, Origin, etc and a bunch of add-ons. Also cleaned out old .net Framework and the like.

Pared down the Startup programs to the minimum.

Cleaned out registry and updated elements.

Seems a bit more stable however... I am still getting the message (though less frequently).

Also, sometimes I can run Furmark for as long as I like on Stress Test, other times, it crashes after 2 or 3 minutes. Same goes for Benchmarking using Furmark. Sometimes it will complete the pass, other times, I get the error.

Going to try ONE MORE complete remove, clean, wipe and reinstall of GPU drivers. If not, it's either Windows somewhere OR the motherboard itself.

Cheers!
Running_Out_Of_Ideas_Canuck

JD

Staff member
From what I gather, your on Windows 10 now? Do you mind losing everything (aka all your installed apps, games, etc)?

I'd suggest going into Settings > Update & Security > Recovery and going through "Reset this PC". That'll effectively re-install Windows, thus removing any junk left over from the Win7 upgrade. You'll retain your activation and won't need an ISO/USB/DVD. I would recommend moving all your important data off your machine and using the "Remove everything" option.

Surfer_2099

OK JD

I was glad to see your post and went your route. I backed up everything in my files and blew up the install with a RESET PC.

Just in now. Wonderful how clean and quick a PC is without all the crap loading into the star menu and running in the background.

Going to download Steam and a few games that I know were giving me issues and see how it goes.

Wish me luck!
Surfer

Twitter