What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

VIRPIL now has pre-order for their products

Lysrin

I noticed on VIRPIL's site that they now offer pre-order on their products.

These flight sim controllers have been very difficult to get since they became popular, and you used to have to camp the forum post to see the restock date and then try to order faster than everyone else who wants them before the stock is gone. Not ideal considering how much they cost!

Now with the pre-order it works as expected; you pre-order holding your spot, and when the stock comes in yours is sent to you.

I emailed them and confirmed that they are using pre-order exactly that way.

If you have been contemplating buying VIRPIL, this will make it easier.

moocow

Argh. I still have a set of CH F16 stick and throttle in a bin. Those don't have mounting holes and no longer popular enough.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
That's actually pretty awesome news, just wish I could afford the 1,000$+ it would take to buy everything Is want and ship it here.

It's still, be far, the best Hotas I've seen to date. They truly listen to enthusiasts and it shows. Owning a set someday would be a dream come true (especially for the lightweight springs and indentation-free cams for smooth space sim flying).

Side note: the arrogant tonedeaf company called TM has *Actually* released info for a new product! ... Which is essentially a reskinned version of an old product, with less functionality... Made as a copy of a passenger plane. 🙄🙄🙄 Tonedeaf doesn't being to describe TM. A reskinned failure. Way to go TM, I hope all your customers get fed up and switch to Virpil. 👍

Entz

Damm those are nice.

I love the desk mounts, that may be worth getting on their own. Though I am afraid to look at shipping lol.

Lysrin

I have a pair of their very first desk mounts. They do the job, and they were a good price back then because VIRPIL was still just starting. But if I was buying mounts now I think I would go with Foxx Mounts. Good price (relatively) and great design. In fact some day I hope to replace my current ones with Foxx Mounts.

As for the VIRPIL sticks and throttles, pretty hard to beat. The Constellation Alpha hits pretty much every requirement for space and fighter sims and has left and right options. Their throttle is awesome too. Just a brutal price to bear as @CMetaphor said.

And @CMetaphor I like my TM products but I have to agree with you I was mystified by that latest product reveal. Maybe people are looking for that for the new Microsoft Flight Sim? I dunno. Wasn't appealing to me at all but I'm not a civilian aircraft fan.

Gman109

I'm hoping that this new method will work out for Virpil. I've been pretty lucky with the past system, I was always online about an hour before launch, and hit refresh every 30 seconds or so, and had all the stuff I wanted to order in my wish list so I could just export it all over to the cart with one single click, and with my payment details saved, it was usually a done deal within about 20 seconds of them opening up sales.

Then on the 11th of June, I got skunked - usually I use one of my VPNs and select a certain former Soviet republic server, and that always seemed to get me an advantage for ordering with Virpil (no explanation, but I was given this as a hint from someone, and it always worked). Then I got none of my items through. I used the "new" system and ordered a pile more gear on the 12th, but it's still "processing". No rush for me, but others get impatient, particularly first time buyers, if the various forums in the sim/space community is any gauge.

Virpil has been really good to me. I bought their very first stick the first week they were available, the original T50. A friend of mine I've flown with online since the late 90s is US Army Special Forces (retired now), and was doing work over there, and met the Virpil team in person, and that's how I found out about them. Bought a lot of stuff early (and still going, the missus is starting to lose her sense of humor about it, but we have 3 sim gamers in our home for the weekends +, and it shuts down the squabbling having lots of options hardware wise for the kid units) and spread the word for and wide, so between being "friend of a friend" and that, the very few tech/software issues I've had, they've always gone far, far out of their way to fix them - same day, including Skype/remote work, etc. Very nice guys.

Adding Bauer to their team was huge too. I have a couple sets of the pedals he designed for them, the Ace2's, and they are becoming my favorite custom pedal (and I have nearly all of them, 3 types of Slaw, VKB, Crosswinds, etc). I'll post some pics later on of the Ace2s, compared to the VKB and Slaw Viper RX peds - my Crosswinds are at our other place along with all my VKB sticks (2 Gunfighter 2 and 2 Gunfighter 3, I haven't even seen the GF3s yet as they arrived right when the Covid crap came down).

Lysrin, absolutely go with Foxx. I have the in house Virpil mounts (both the old style that have no rake, and the new style, a couple of each), and also spent about $2k CAD on Monster mounts for my T50CM2s and Warbrds (GF from VKB too). Monster was NOTHING but a giant, giant PITA to deal with. The mounts are nice, yes, but they are absolutely the most brain dead people i've dealt with in the PC gaming world. They lay it off on rapid expansion and "new hires", but they effed up my order so many times, and repeatedly screwed up sending me the piles, and I mean PILES of hardware they forget to send in the order - all the small bits/units to assemble the mounts, and then the wrong mouse pad plates, and a 1/2 dozen other insane failures. I still am waiting for parts, now a year later almost. I have 2 mounts that aren't being used because I had to canabilize parts from them to make the other mounts useable. I can post a link to the DCS forums where others have recently had a similar experience.

Foxx mounts - it's the complete inverse in terms of the experience. The person running Foxx is fantastic, a really good example of how things "should" be done with an online small business in this sphere IMO. While the mounts may not be quite as polished as the Monster mounts, that gap has closed very rapidly, and I think the Foxx mounts will surpass Monster is this regard shortly anyway. Don't get me wrong, they are great "as is".

I'll post a bunch of pics tonight or tomorrow of all this crap I've got going right now Hotas wise, to compare/contrast some of the above units from various companies.

moocow

So how do you guys solve the sitting position problem with desk flight sim without using desk mounts like these?

Lysrin

Thanks for the info @Gman109 , haven't seen you in a while! :) Pics are always welcome.

Foxx Mount has a hold right now on new order requests as of 22 May 2020. He says he'll be back to selling with a better purchasing system but doesn't say when at this point.

Twitter