What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Virtual Machine keyboard troubleshooting?

dlf

Before I "nuke" my Linux host and or my Windows 7 Virtual Machine guest, I want to see if this can be resolved. The short of it that my Virtual Machine guests (not just Windows 7, could be for any linux distro as well) basically will not read some keyboard (shortcuts) - copy, paste, pause, seamless mode transission, the normal host key (right control) is basically useless and won't function. But wait you say is Auto capture keyboard turn on in the settings?! - Yes, and all shortcuts are default. :angry2:

Host: Linux Mint 17.3 (With Cinnamon as DE)
Virtual Box: Version 5.0.16 r105871
Linux Kernel Version: 4.2.0-35 (4.4 breaks Vbox, makes it impossible for me to just start the program and start a VM)
Moved my /home to a small partition of a HDD (Linux is on an SSD

KaptCrunch

have tried another keyboard if ever gotten wet the trace opens, then a HB pencil to close it again

frontier204

Do all the keys work natively with no VMs enabled? You may have a case where left and right control are not registering properly, since all the shortcuts you mentioned include the use of one of the two CTRL keys.

Some keyboards have odd issues with Linux, e.g. my keyboard has this issue: drivers - CTRL and ALT keys mapped to Shift for some reason - Ask Ubuntu (I'm too lazy to compile a kernel module, so I stuck with Windows on the PC and have Linux VMs running off a different computer in the room.)

This is especially true for "gaming" keyboards because they require funny drivers to work on Windows, and of course Linux doesn't have those drivers. The best keyboard to try is the "default" one that comes with cheap PCs, or of course a keyboard that officially supports Linux.

dlf

In/on Linux (host, no VM) shortcuts work normally, it seems Ctrl+Alt+ button (say P) is what the VM software (vbox) is looking for despite the settings for it show right control.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter