What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Virtualized HTPC?

geoc

My parents are avid users of a media centre computer to watch netflix and stream other videos. But they have a tendency to click 'ok' and 'install' for every phishing/trojan/adware popup, so needless to say the computer is chockful of viruses and malware within a couple weeks.

I am not always available nor do I have to time to manually reinstall everything all the time. I was thinking of setting up ESXi on the HTPC running a Win10 VM with VGA passthrough to a GTX480 for hardware accelerated decoding.

One thing I don't like about the ESXi is the amount of ram it takes with no VMs running (1.4gb.)

Is this a viable setup? Or is there a better way of dealing with this problem?

reaverclan

You could check out un-raid as well. I know linus's group has used it for crazy things so it is definitely viable. You could also just set up the physical with like weekly backups with macrium reflect free, that would take about 10 minutes or even less to bring back if you have an ssd.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNGhLHCnEAmQxQAr95AH6Y_Aw-xi-RmG7 The VM route will cost you with pretty high licensing costs with ESXi I imagine. Don't you need a licensee for it and vcenter (been a while since I have used it out of corporate)?

JD

Staff member
If they're only looking at streaming video, why not get a Chromecast, Roku, or similar?

Herne

I would start by altering the account it runs as. Half your issues are solved by not using an admin users.

Latest posts

Twitter