What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Vista 64 home premium and 6G or 8G of ram?

Hi, finaly going to take the plunge and upgrade to vista 64bit home premium. But I dont know wheather to get another 2G (2X1G kit) of ram or another 4G (2X2G kit)of ram? I already have 4G (2X2G kit)? I am just not shure which one to get because I heard of people having issues with ram kits that dont EXACTLY match up.

Chilly

You might have issues mixing and matching different ram, let alone different sizes. Get another kit of what you already have for maximum compatibility. That being said, is there any reason for you needing to move to 8GB or are you just like me? Who got 8GB for the hell of it :haha: (I warn you once you have 8GB you'll want more :bleh: )

Chilly

You don't need 6 or 8 or 10 or 12.

You want

4g is more than enough for most average users.

HA, I'd say 2GB is plenty for most average users, unless if by average you mean for the average enthusiast :bleh:.That being said you are right, I don't need 8GB, or even the 4GB I was running before my current 8GB AT ALL, but I sure as hell like it :biggrin:.

belgolas

um in vista 64 bit I was heavily multi tasking and then decided to run world in conflict benchmark to see DX10 for my first time and WiC crashed to the desktop and a windows message poped up saying I was using to much ram and WiC had to shut down. So yes I need 8 gb of ram at times.

Snarl

I had 4GB RAM in 4 x 1GB Sticks of OCZ XTC Gold, I swapped in 2 x 2GB Sticks, also OCZ XTC Gold and I insured the timings were the same i.e. 5-5-5-15. So currently I have 6GB (2 x 1GB and 2 x 2GB) working in Dual Channel no problem. As to which way you should go i.e. 6GB vs 8GB that would be a $$ issue to my mind.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Latest posts