What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Vista Crash??

Marzguitarz

I play a new very GPU demanding online game called Vanguard sega of heroes. So I decided to build a new system. I built the new computer and installed a new copy of Vista Ultimate (64 bit) on it. Comp specs were. Intel Motherboard (DG965), Intel 6300 core 2 duo, 2gigs of 800mhz OZC dual channel ram, ATI 1950 GPU and 300 gig WD hard drive.
The first two days Vista seemed to work excellent and I had no issues. Then I decided I would like to overclock my CPU from the 1.8 ghz up to around 2.4 which as I read on many forums would be a very easy task with the 6300 core 2 duo, but I would have to get a new motherboard as the Intel one did not suport overclocking.

I then purchased and installed the ASUS P5N-E SLI 650i which I had read many positive reviews on. I then reinstalled Vista (64 bit) and started my Vanguard download. Part way through the download the system would crash and after me rebooting several times and trying to download the Vanguard patch it would crash over and over. I ***ume this is the motherboard but I have also noticed that it always crashes downloading the exact same file. The thing is it downloaded it all before and even played the game well. WHat should I do?

The error I get is
KERNEK_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
I have also noticed my CPU usage while downloading is at 100% and ram usage is at 90.
I should mention that when I changed Mother boards I took off the Intel stock CPU fan and replaced it with the Arctis Pro 7 CPU fan and I used Arctic Freeze heat sink paste.

sswilson

Staff member
Is the system OC'd now or at stock?

Have you done any stress testing on the new setup to see if the system is stable?

How about Power Leads to the Mobo, are they all plugged in?

Next guess would be that your mobo might not have picked up the best mem settings for your mem.

Marzguitarz

When I got the motherboard installed last night I tried using the auto overclock at 5% and 10% but my system would not boot on either. SO I went to BIOS and rest defaults.
I ran a couple stress tests that reported NO Errors.

I have a OZC 700 watt PSU.

I should add that when I changed the mother board I replaced the stock Intel CPU fan with the Arctic Cool Pro 7 and Silver freeze heat sink paste.

I think it may be my CPU TEMP but I cannot get anything to give me a reading. I tried google to get a core 2 duo CPU temp Monitor and could find nothing compatible with VISTA. I tried a few of the xp ones but Nadda.

Any sugestions?

Last edited:
G

Did a quick Google for you:

This Stop message indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory. This Stop message is usually caused by a bad block (sector) in a paging file, a virus, a disk controller error, or failing RAM. In rare cases, it is caused when nonpaged pool resources run out. It is also caused by defective hardware.
MS site

The word around alot of forums is this is a hdd error, but I can find no references to Vista, probally because of it's recent release.
Run scandisk, or Vista equivalent would be my best bet.

sswilson

Staff member
If you have access to another computer you can dl the iso for a bootable cd of memtest here.....

http://www.memtest86.com/

Burn that to a cd and let it run overnight to let you know if your mem is checking out. (This will take the HDD out of the equation)

I'd also suggest having a look at your temps in bios to see what your cpu temps are (don't need a monitor program for that).

If your temps are high, try redoing the tim on your cpu cooler.

Deathspawner

The first two days Vista seemed to work excellent and I had no issues.

Liar! That's just not possible, by anyone! :angry2:

;-)

To be honest, I am wondering if it's the motherboard that is your primary problem, because I have the same one and am less than impressed right now. First off, make sure you are using the 0307 BIOS and not the stock... it fixes certain memory issues. Past that though, there are still lingering issues I am finding.

I've been running that PC at stock lately and received a few BSODs in both XP and Vista, so you are not alone there. One thing you will want to try though if the problem persists, is to move the ram into the opposite slots (B instead of A) as that seems to have helped a few people.

I do believe the main issues so far with the board have all been relative to memory, but that 0307 takes care of a good deal of the problem. So... first and foremost I'd upgrade to that official BIOS (it's on the ASUS support site) and see if the problem persists.

Oh and for the record, in the past two months of using Vista, I've had MS Paint crash on me twice and "My Computer" crash around 4 times. You are certainly not alone with the Vista oddities ;-)

BIOS: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5N-E SLI&type=map&mapindex (Click on the "BIOS" blue tab to see the 0307 version)