What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Vista partition question

somecanadianguy

I'm trying to shrink a partition in Vista and cannot get it any smaller because of a file called $Bitmap.
MyDefrag shows it at the end of the partition and it's unmovable.
Anyone know what to do about this (besides reinstall Vista)?

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Use an actual partitioning program, not Windows. They typically will restart your computer and it will resize the partitions before Windows loads, thus being able to move anything.

I've always used Acronis DiskDirector (paid app) and you could try this free one I came across, though haven't tried personally: Partition Wizard

Another option is GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

Arinoth

Staff member
Same here, i typically have used or do use Acronis DiskDirector as it allows me to grow/shrink the partion to whatever i want and its only a restart away to apply changes.

somecanadianguy

I used MyDefrag, but it won't move those files (if it can I don't know how).
I guess I'll try a different one if MyDefrag won't work.
How safe are those other ones?

Is there no way to move the $Bitmap file besides defrag?
I can't seem to find much useful info on this.
From what I gather it was created by Windows in the middle of the partition, which was originally around 530GB.

tyreman

Those apps like acronis are safe.
I have used disk director before at buddies
Best way to do it likely.
I never defrag so I wouldn't know about your specific issue.

somecanadianguy

The problem seems to be that when I originally created the partition, Vista made a file called $Bitmap in the middle.
Now I want to shrink that partition down to around 150GB, but can't get it less than half which is around 265GB because $Bitmap is unmoveable.
Will those partition programs work around this file?
Is it safe to?

Some more reading shows me that others have had the same issue and defrag software usually does not fix it.
Can't find a definate answer as to whether it's safe to partition around the $Bitmap file with a 3rd party program.
I may have to either move all files to my new partition then delete the old one and make a new one, or just format and reinsstall Vista.
I may just reinstall and start new, but I can't right now because I have some stuff to backup and my external HDD is being used by my gf...

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Like I said, proper partitioning programs (aka not Windows) work before the OS is loaded, meaning that every single file is able to be moved. No files are in use at that time.

The program will move the file accordingly to have enough free space for the partition you want to make.