What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Vista problems.

enaberif

64-bit may not be ready for public, but it's getting to a point where it's necessary as far as memory requirements go.

Nope! Very little requires more than 3gb of memory! And if something does then its poorly written.

Jmac

Nope! Very little requires more than 3gb of memory! And if something does then its poorly written.
I can think of several applications which can exceed the 2 GB per application limit of 32-bit OSes. It won't be long until a significant portion of new games are pushing the limit.

Gamashinoch

I can think of several applications which can exceed the 2 GB per application limit of 32-bit OSes. It won't be long until a significant portion of new games are pushing the limit.

Battlefield 2142 comes to mind.

b1lk1

I must agree with this. 64 Bit is not really needed yet and 2GB is pretty much the sweet spot. Only professional video/music/CAD users really need the extra memory and bandwidth that 64 BIT can offer.

Battlefield 2142 comes to mind.

All the Battlefield series are among the worst coded games in recent history. There are plenty of other games that have superior graphics and gameplay using less.

But I still have to say that Vista 64 is a completely different animal than XP 64. There is pretty good support this time around so hopefully devs will start using it more. I also stand by that even though the average user could probably not install it correctly, the power users (which most of us on forums like this are) could.

enaberif

I must agree with this. 64 Bit is not really needed yet and 2GB is pretty much the sweet spot. Only professional video/music/CAD users really need the extra memory and bandwidth that 64 BIT can offer.

All the Battlefield series are among the worst coded games in recent history. There are plenty of other games that have superior graphics and gameplay using less.

But I still have to say that Vista 64 is a completely different animal than XP 64. There is pretty good support this time around so hopefully devs will start using it more. I also stand by that even though the average user could probably not install it correctly, the power users (which most of us on forums like this are) could.

Exactly, and no you can't compared XP 64bit to Vista 64bit they are two totally different working OS's just as is OSX to Vista.

sswilson

Staff member
There is pretty good support this time around so hopefully devs will start using it more.

This has been a long-time beef of mine.

In the rush to get software out, there seems to be little actual coding going on. Developers seem to depend on hardware advances to make up for sloppy coding rather than writing tight code that takes full advantage of current hardware.

I pine for the old days when developers had to work in order to squeeze every last ounce of processing power available to them.

I know I can't blame it all on developers... the marketplace is such that there isn't really time to do good coding and yet still get to store shelves while it's still relevent.

Patriote

Hey guys, just installed Vista X64 on my new machine (On air) and it seems that when i want to open Coretemp, i get a driver signature error message or something like that. How do i get rid of that ?

I have disable UAC too. Was getting bored of "allow" ...

enaberif

Hey guys, just installed Vista X64 on my new machine (On air) and it seems that when i want to open Coretemp, i get a driver signature error message or something like that. How do i get rid of that ?

I have disable UAC too. Was getting bored of "allow" ...

You have to hit f8 everytime you start your computer and select disabling that .. have fun!

b1lk1

Just installed my other 2 sticks of ram for 4GB system ram. Made a good difference in load times and gaming is smoother too. I'll keep updates on running 4GB and any possible issues, but so far gaming is more enjoyable as well.