What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Vista Upgrade Path

UNESCO

I don't see why anyone buying XP right now wouldn't spend the extra +/-$30 for Media Centre...

M

Misoprostol

My biggest puzzle is why anyone buys XP Professional these days.... It's more expensive than MCE, and besides not being able to log into a domain, it actually offers more functionality....

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
My biggest puzzle is why anyone buys XP Professional these days.... It's more expensive than MCE, and besides not being able to log into a domain, it actually offers more functionality....
MCE is basically built on XP Pro so I agree, it a better deal. If you don't want to use the Media Center bit, no worries, you won't even know it's there, but if you do decide to use it in the future, just plug in a TV Tuner and install the appropriate decoder software and you are good to go.

M

Misoprostol

that and I really like the soft blue theme the MCE comes with :)

UNESCO

Called "Royale" and available here for all versions of XP

No cheese though, McDonalds' France must be devistated.

M

Misoprostol

........oh

Well that's not a very good reason to buy MCE then, now is it?

Drew

Having MCE will be vital for anyone who's interested in having HDTV or digital cable on their HTPC's. Cablecard and other QAM capable decoders are going to be Vista only via MCE. Now which of the 30 different flavours of Vista ship with MCE?

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Having MCE will be vital for anyone who's interested in having HDTV or digital cable on their HTPC's. Cablecard and other QAM capable decoders are going to be Vista only via MCE. Now which of the 30 different flavours of Vista ship with MCE?
I'll see if I can confirm but I believe only the Ultimate version has MCE included.:(

Attachments