What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Vista/XP black screen problem

r00tman

Also known as the Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) issue. I'm having this problem when viewing videos on YouTube or playing Oblivion. I'm running Vista 32-bit. My system specs are listed below:
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
  • EVGA 680i SLI
  • 4 GB OCZ SLI-Ready
  • EVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra
  • 2 x 74 GB WD Raptor, RAID 0
  • Enermax Galaxy 850W PSU
This is the error I get...
gpurecovergs0.jpg

Anyone else experiencing this problem? (And yes, I've tried all that other trouble-shooting crap [Windows update, Forceware driver update, Vista restore, memory swap, video card swap, safe mode, etc.]) :help:

Patriote

Well, when you overclock your card, sometime you get a BSOD when you're gaming or you get that kind of error. I remember, i got such kind of error message that would say that exactly this. Instead of having to reboot my computer after the crash, it would make my display drivers to crash and get recovered.

Is your card overcocked ? If so, are you sure it's stable ? Did you ever had that kind of problem before ? With XP ?

r00tman

Well, when you overclock your card, sometime you get a BSOD when you're gaming or you get that kind of error. I remember, i got such kind of error message that would say that exactly this. Instead of having to reboot my computer after the crash, it would make my display drivers to crash and get recovered.

Is your card overcocked ? If so, are you sure it's stable ? Did you ever had that kind of problem before ? With XP ?

No, it's running at stock speeds.

I've never encountered this problem and only used it with Vista x86 and x64.

Patriote

So that ain't you first Vista install with that set-up but it's the first time you see this problem, right ?

If so, maybe a clean install of Vista would solve the problem.

r00tman

So that ain't you first Vista install with that set-up but it's the first time you see this problem, right ?

If so, maybe a clean install of Vista would solve the problem.

Yes.

I hope to God a good Vista re-install can sort this problem out. :sad:

r00tman

Ok, so I re-installed Vista x86, downloaded the latest WHQL drivers from NVidia, and the same shit happened.
I then rolled back the drivers, deleted the left over nvl...sys file from my system and installed the beta drivers, still the same shit.

I uninstalled Vista x86 and installed the x64 version. I downloaded the latest WHQL drivers from NVidia, and the same shit happened.
I then rolled back the drivers, deleted the left over nvl...sys file from my system and installed the beta drivers, still the same shit.

I'm on Windows XP x86 with the latest WHQL drivers installed. So far, so good. I'll have to run more video intensive games/applications to test stability.

Man this has been one nightmare. :doh:

enaberif

Ok, so I re-installed Vista x86, downloaded the latest WHQL drivers from NVidia, and the same shit happened.

I uninstalled Vista x86 and installed the x64 version. I downloaded the latest WHQL drivers from NVidia, and the same shit happened.

I'm on Windows XP x86 with the latest WHQL drivers installed. So far, so good. I'll have to run more video intensive games/applications to test stability.

Man this has been one nightmare. :doh:

What do you expect from :censored: vista.

Gamashinoch

1st question (should of been asked by others) run windows update. there was an update taht resolved this issue with the 163.44+ drivers. WHQL drivers are very old BTW.

Latest posts