What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Vista --> XP Network Issue

Thund3rball

Coming from this thread, I have started a new one for my problem to avoid thread jacking.

My Problem:

Laptop (Vista) --> Desktop (XP)
I can see my desktop from the laptop but cannot connect. It doesn't seem to like my username/password that I use to login to the desktop.

Desktop (XP) --> Laptop (Vista)
I can connect to the laptop from my desktop and move files etc... Sometimes it wigs out and I cannot see the laptop but sometimes I can? Right now I can see it and connect no problem. I don't need a username/password it just connects?

For what you are wanting to do you need to create the accounts on the machines separately and password them.

Thanks enaberif.

I have a different username/password on each machine to login to Windows. Is that what you mean? I always use a different username/password on all my machines. My question was do I need to create a specific account on the Laptop just to connect through that account from the desktop? I might be way off IDK?

enaberif

Coming from this thread, I have started a new one for my problem to avoid thread jacking.

My Problem:

Laptop (Vista) --> Desktop (XP)
I can see my desktop from the laptop but cannot connect. It doesn't seem to like my username/password that I use to login to the desktop.

Desktop (XP) --> Laptop (Vista)
I can connect to the laptop from my desktop and move files etc... Sometimes it wigs out and I cannot see the laptop but sometimes I can? Right now I can see it and connect no problem. I don't need a username/password it just connects?

Thanks enaberif.

I have a different username/password on each machine to login to Windows. Is that what you mean? I always use a different username/password on all my machines. My question was do I need to create a specific account on the Laptop just to connect through that account from the desktop? I might be way off IDK?

The way it basically works with networking is that unless you have the shares "password" protected you shoudn't need ANY user accounts at all and the shares should JUST show up.

Now going from XP to Vista you need to make sure that in Vista you turn off the "password" share option in network for it to work properly.

Mr. Cipher

I had similar issues with mine. I needed to install the LLTD protocol (link layer topology discovery) to make sure my computers could see each other, and for further ease in detection, place them in the same workgroup.

Even having done that, its an off and on relationship. For security I use the account settings, which do not need the same password. In fact I even have different accounts, which is not an issue.

From my understanding, whatever account you have on the local computer you need on the remote computer to make login work.

E.g. my gf and I each have an account on both of the computers so we can login to the shares from/to either one

Thund3rball

The way it basically works with networking is that unless you have the shares "password" protected you shoudn't need ANY user accounts at all and the shares should JUST show up.

Now going from XP to Vista you need to make sure that in Vista you turn off the "password" share option in network for it to work properly.

Funny thing is I can go from XP --> Vista most of the time without a problem. It's Vista --> XP that never works :(

I had similar issues with mine. I needed to install the LLTD protocol (link layer topology discovery) to make sure my computers could see each other, and for further ease in detection, place them in the same workgroup.

Even having done that, its an off and on relationship. For security I use the account settings, which do not need the same password. In fact I even have different accounts, which is not an issue.

From my understanding, whatever account you have on the local computer you need on the remote computer to make login work.

E.g. my gf and I each have an account on both of the computers so we can login to the shares from/to either one

I installed the LLTD on my XP machine... is there one for Vista to? I'll look when I get home. I thought about the accounts to. I have my account setup on both computers, and my wife has an account on the Vista laptop as well. I can't seem to go Vista --> XP from any account. I have both machines in the same workgroup. Here's an example of a typical try.

I am logged into the Vista laptop as my wife.
I go to connect to my XP desktop through "network".
I get a login window
I use my desktop's username/password
Vista keeps just keeps showing the login window but puts the laptop's computer name before my desktop's username and greys it out. I keep trying my desktop's password but no worky?

Mr. Cipher

LLTD is native with Vista, so you're OK there. It's what makes the little network map in vista recognize your XP machines, among other things.

Not quite sure about that login window. If the user/pass combo you used to login into Vista machine is not the same as the user/login set on the XP machine, then you get the user/pass login window, which you do.

May seem like a stupid question, but is your XP computer user set as the accepted user for the shared drive on the XP machine? That has to be set before the user/pass login will work. Creating an account is not sufficient, since shared folders on XP default to allowing "everyone" access.

ie: right click folder you want to share on XP machine --> sharing and security --> new share --> permissions --> remove everyone --> click add --> click advanced --> click find now --> select XP user you want (probably you and your wife)--> click OK --> click OK --> choose control you want to give that user --> click Apply

What that does is tell XP that the credentials native to the selected user on the XP machine are required to login to that shared drive.

Hopefully that works. I've been at this for 4 months now and my vista/xp network still does not work properly.

Thund3rball

Thanks Cipher I am going to give that a try when I get home and see how she goes. I'm sorry your network is still having issues, but it's nice to know I am not alone.

G

Thanks Cipher I am going to give that a try when I get home and see how she goes. I'm sorry your network is still having issues, but it's nice to know I am not alone.
Your BOTH not alone, I have 1 lappy/vista, 1 desktop/vista/XP, 1 desktop XP, 1 desktop ME:ph34r: and half the time one wont work in either vista or XP. I'll be acsessing files off the network, 15 mins later that machine has disapered from the network:blarg:. Sometimes it comes back sometimes it needs a rig rebooted. But I do know that I never had this trouble before Vista.

Latest posts